Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chromecast, US Netflix and Plusnet Router

daaahhnuh
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Chromecast, US Netflix and Plusnet Router

Hey,
So I've made it my mission this morning to get this all working and I'm currently watching Season 4 of White Collar via the Chromecast on the TV using US Netflix.  Thought I'd write a quick how-to using the Technicolor TG582n FTTC router (Plusnet standard issue) and the Unlocator Smart DNS Service (you will need to be signed up... It's free at the moment as it's in beta).
I've found the problem with the Chromecast is that the DNS settings are hard-wired to Google's DNS 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.  So it's no good just overwriting the router DNS settings to use Unlocator or any other Smart DNS Service as the Chromecast will just go and do it's own thing anyway.  So I added some static routes for the two Google DNS IP's and it's done the trick!
Few instructions:
1. tenet to dsldevice.lan (192.168.1.254)
2. login using admin and the router password
3. flush the plusnet dns servers
dns server route flush

4. add unlocator's smart dns servers
dns server route add dns=185.37.37.37 metric=10 intf=Internet

dns server route add dns=185.37.37.185 metric=10 intf=Internet

5. add static routes for google dns servers
ip rtadd dst=8.8.8.8/32 gateway=192.168.1.254

ip rtadd dst=8.8.4.4/32 gateway=192.168.1.254

6. save!
saveall

Hope it helps someone Smiley
10 REPLIES 10
RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

Re: Chromecast, US Netflix and Plusnet Router

Just a quick word of warning. Adding the DNS server you should use a metric value of less than 10 as the PN servers will appear again (most likely at the next PPP connection).
That's RPM to you!!
daaahhnuh
Dabbler

Ahh yes.  Thank you.  Have re-added them with a metric value of 5.  Broadband dropped out earlier and the two Plusnet DNS's have made a reappearance.
dick:quote
nadger
Rising Star

I subscribe to UnoDns and use that, on laptop, to stream Netflix USA to TV via hdmi connection.
Devonian
Grafter

I'm not saying I use the American Netflix,  through the PS4, so my smart tv still gets the UK content... but what are the legal repercussions.. I am assuming it is a type of piracy?
RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

No, not really piracy as Netflix do allow you to roam when travelling and you can access that region's catalogue. I suppose it would be similar to using a multi region DVD player to play a US DVD.
That's RPM to you!!
Devonian
Grafter

But a multi region DVD is marketed as such.
Netflix UK has different content to Netflix USA because of copy right laws.
That's what makes me suspect some law somewhere exists to stop people doing it! 
I do hope I am wrong though. Wink
nadger
Rising Star

On my Android devices I use free app Hola to access Netflix USA.
As I've said I pay for UnoDns so I can stream to TV via laptop. Could possibly use Hola instead.
Possibly it's bending copyright rules but one pays monthly to Netflix and US content is superior - even people in Canada do it  Smiley
I think if it was piracy action would have already been taken.
HalfShaft
Dabbler

Quote from: Devonian
But a multi region DVD is marketed as such.
Netflix UK has different content to Netflix USA because of copy right laws.
That's what makes me suspect some law somewhere exists to stop people doing it! 
I do hope I am wrong though. Wink

The only way arcane licensing deals can be made a thing of the past is to make them useless.  The only reason the content is different between is the greed of whoever has the rights.
Its like piracy, there'll always be people who pirate content regardless, but for most is its easy to assess at a reasonable cost then why bother pirating?  Same boat with Sky's recent crying on the BBC about how people can get £100+ a month TV subscriptions for under a tenner.  Other than corporate greed there is no reason for it to be so expensive, and if it was reasonable cost then there would be no reason to spend X on receivers and messing around with softcams.
jazz2401

Wanted to say thank you for the codes/instructions, wouldn't of been able to do it without them  Smiley
also found these free DNS servers that are currently working:
pri 214.5.182.127
sec 162.243.65.31
Thank, Jazz Man.
timewilltell

Would you mind doing a video of this? I am very much a lay man when it comes to networks.  I have no idea what "tenet to dsldevice.lan (192.168.1.254)" means. Is this in the cmd function? A video would honestly be the best. Thanks!!!