Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chromecast/Now TV/Roku

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

Chromecast/Now TV/Roku

Has anyone got one of the above devices and how are you getting on with it ?
I Know there are tons of reviews on the internet and' Now TV' was discussed in some detail a short time ago in Chit chat.
Chromecast has also been mentioned recently in this forum regarding problems connecting to the modem supplied by PN but got no responses.
Advice, comments, please. Smiley
We are born into history and history is born into us.
3 REPLIES 3
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: Chromecast/Now TV/Roku

Several of us have NowTV boxes, no problems with it (apart from with TuneinRadio for me, it drops the sound after nn hours - where nn is anywhere from 6-60+!) I played with the free month of it when I got it, you really need a tv with an HDMI input as the composite sucks.
Roku like above but more so  Wink
CX
Grafter

I have a NowTV box, but haven't got around to setting it up yet. I'm looking into using it as a low power MediaBrowser 3 (very nice, by the way) client.
My only concern is the lack of 1080p decoding (and hence requiring that the server transcode 1080p to 720p) means that any power savings on the client side (as opposed to say an Intel Atom or even the Ouya sitting gathering dust) are negated by the server's CPU running at an additional 20-30W (haven't measured yet, but I imagine it's in that ballpark).
TORPC
Grafter

I tried using Media Browser3 with my NowTV unit & they wouldn't communicate properly with each so I use Plex media & you can use Plx to setup your own server & have a lot of film / video / music apps & much much more.
It was most likely the discussed thread you are referring to