Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chrome v Firefox

FIXED
petlew
Pro
Fixes: 2

Chrome v Firefox

As a new convert to Chrome from years of Firefox. There is one "simple" thing I would like to be able to do: when FF was opened it would open with my choice of home page (in tools/options, in my case the Pn General Chat page) I can find no way of doing this in Chrome, Chrome will open with a home page that I can choose from a large number of available graphics, but not one that I want, is it possible to use one (a URL) of my choice?

Firefox has a lot more user control over its appearance, but I must admit Chrome so far is not too bad.

Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
17 REPLIES 17
DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

Re: Chrome v Firefox

Fix
petlew
Pro

Thank you DaveyH. I had the home page turned off.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

One of the many things that stopped me from using chrome(ium) was the lack of control over where to save downloads, I like to have rules defined so if I download an epub it is saved in books etc. Once I found download router I switched to Chromium last year, mostly happy with it, given the way FF was heading last year.
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

I would agree Chrome is faster but , Firefox is more controlable  and i don't like the favorite bar i want my favorites on the right not the left and you cant change that in chrome

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
petlew
Pro

One thing that does work in Chrome (apart from my website builder as mentioned several times elsewhere) that didn't in Firefox later versions is Kaspersky "Safe Money", This has been a constant thorn with FF and the subject of a number service requests with Kaspersky and FF. Both have told me they're working on it - I think its actually a Kaspersky issue - this has been on-going for a long time.

Safe Money took a while to open my on-line banking the first time it was used in Chrome, but its quite quick now

So I'm quite pleased about that.

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Regarding Safe Money with Firefox.
Even with the previous versions which supported it I still found it clunky
I am not sure what extra layer of protection it gives since I only access my accounts via my own saved bookmark and never when using a wifi hotspot

Mav
Fixes: 514

I prefer FF over Chrome but am sticking with v56 for now until there's an update (hopefully) to Tab Mix Plus.

I use Chrome mainly for sites that require Flash as FF tends to have issues.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

petlew
Pro

Uhmm, interestingly, I also have the website security that the banks recommend "Rapport". This I find can't make up its mind if its going to start or not. In both this Chrome and the former FF, the icon next to the address bar resolutely remained grey although it claimed to be running, sometimes simply refreshing the browser would start it (change the icon to green), but most of the time it can be activated using the "other" icon in the tray at the bottom of the screen, but its oddly long-winded.

Additional. at one point in the several threads about FF v Chrome I've started, I mentioned that I can't find the operation to send FF back to an earlier version, I still can't, any help please? 

petlew
Pro

Thank you for that information DaveyH.

This worked find to set the "Home" page button.

But what about the Start-up page that carries the Google search. If you only have had one website page open, it easy to get back to using the back button if you want to a search but, if a bit of browsing has gone on then a number of operations of the back button are needed (maybe lots) to get back for a Google search.

It would help if the start-up screen could be tabbed for instant use, but it doesn't seem as if it can, unless you know better.

Of course, what I'd like is the Google search window in the URL title bar as in FF.

Mav
Fixes: 514

@Oldjim wrote:

not sure how soon or indeed if ever http://tabmixplus.org/support/troubleshooting/data/legacy-tabmix.html

There's also been some discussion here.

I haven't found another addon that does the job anywhere near as good either in FF, Chrome of IE so will stay as I am for now.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Another chrome convert here. I used to use seamonkey as my main browser (the slightly techier version of firefox and also released by mozilla) however given that the entire mozilla range seems to be heading down the pan with every release i got fed up of it all. Every upgrade would break plugins which failed to keep up with the upgrades and despite having better memory management than firefox (eg much less memory leakage) the hassle was becoming too much.

With chrome things just work. It does have some gotchas like the lack of stacked tabs but i can live with it.

IE has become too clunky and sluggish, not bothered with edge based on that. Cometbird isn't a bad alternative.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

@petlew wrote:

Uhmm, interestingly, I also have the website security that the banks recommend "Rapport".

I wouldn't bother with that trash again myself. I used it years ago and all it did was screw up my system completely. I ended up ringing up the bank and asking them to send round an IT technician to sort it. They naturally declined but it set me back several days reinstalling everything.

Then i tried it again thinking it was a fluke. Same thing all over again. Tried it on another machine.. same thing.

I've never bothered with it again since. If the banks are going to promote software they don't even have tested properly then they're not going to be too phased about quality years later.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

@petlew with chrome you just type in the address bar when you want to search, took me ages NOT to go to google first.
so if you are looking for cheap banana's (I know where DO you get them?), just press F6 and type in cheap banana's.