Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chrome is not working anymore. Why?

Lolaan
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Chrome is not working anymore. Why?

Two days ago it was working perfectly, since yesterday night the only thing I got is downloading proxy script or resolving host or unable to access network with this webpage is not available.
Internet explorer is still working fine, and I have google as my webpage in IE, but nothing with Chrome.
I tried a few suggestions that I have found on the internet, but to no avail. I did not try the suggested changes to the dns or reboot the router, as I don't know if it would be that for sure and I am not at ease with big changes on my computer just in case it makes it worst, so would like more feedback on this, furthermore if it was a router problem, IE wouldn't work.
I use window XP and it seems that problem has occurred since 2008 following what I can gather, so now it's my turn  Cry
9 REPLIES 9
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Re: Chrome is not working anymore. Why?

Have you tried clearing all the Cache and Cookies? If you do that, make sure everything is removed from 'The Beginning of Time'.
Lolaan
Rising Star

Yes, I've done that as well. And I've checked for an update, but it says up to date. Some part of the update must be the cause, as it was working fine until yesterday, but I can't get back to the way it was before the update. It's frustrating, as it was faster than IE, and I got all my bookmarks that I can't use.
TORPC
Grafter

Have you tried un-installing Chrome > reboot machine > re-install Chrome from fresh download file ?Huh
Lolaan
Rising Star

That's what I intend to do, but I don't want to loose my bookmarks.
So I have downloaded Firefox, and imported the chrome bookmarks in it, and plan to uninstall chrome, but I want to make sure that if I uninstall chrome I will not loose the chrome bookmarks in Firefox.
TORPC
Grafter

The easiest way to keep your bookmarks et al
Click on http://chrome://bookmarks/#1 which will open up the Bookmark Manager
Then click on Organise > scroll down the list > click on Export Bookmarks to HTML file...
When you have reinstalled Google Chrome
Complete the steps above with the exception of choosing Import Bookmarks from HTML file...
Of course if you have a Google account you can sync all your data into your account then you can Follow this easy Tutorial
Lolaan
Rising Star

I don't know why, but all of a sudden chrome as started working again today.  I've never had the time to uninstall and download it again.
I wish I knew what happened then.
But I'll keep TORPC suggestions handy as I don't think it will be the last time I will have problems with chrome.
Thank you all.
TORPC
Grafter

You are welcome Smiley
Glad to be of assistance Wink
eimeki
Dabbler

Quote from: Lolaan
I don't know why, but all of a sudden chrome as started working again today.  I've never had the time to uninstall and download it again.
I wish I knew what happened then.
But I'll keep TORPC suggestions handy as I don't think it will be the last time I will have problems with chrome.
Thank you all.

Having similar problems with Chrome. Emptying cache simply had me unable to access my emails (gmail) and being obliged to re-register/provide a new password. What their techies have done to a once excellent service can only be imagined, but in numerous forums on the net the complaints are pretty much the same so something drastic must have occurred.
I'm slowly going back to Firefox but taking my time so that I can transfer my emails without the loss I suffered when going from BT/Yahoo to Chrome/gmail. The suggested automatic transfer simply didn't!
RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

How do you mean? You're still able to access Gmail within Firefox. Or was that just an example of past problems?
That's RPM to you!!