cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chrome goes gold

samuria
Grafter

Chrome goes gold

Google Chrome has gone gold so i tis now out of beta and the full version. I thought I would give it another go downloaded and installed.
It hung trying to import stuff from Firefox had to kill it but it had managed to import everything.
Runs fast so headed over here to report on it by starting a new topic only one problem I couldnt as there was no option to reply or start a new topic it just wasnt there.
Will test further and see how it goes it is very fast thats the best bit so far.
Were do you download it Googles Chrome well let me think were you could try?
9 REPLIES 9
xpcomputers
Grafter

Re: Chrome goes gold

I'm using "SRware Iron" browser (as a trial), which is basically Google's Chrome, with all the Google privacy issues neutered!
It is also based upon a newer release of Webkit rendering engine than Chrome as well.
Since it is virtually identical to Chrome, I also saw the lack of reply button and new topic buttons on this forum page... I was about to blame the browser, like you, when I realised that as I am only just tryin this out as a trial, i am not automatically logged into the forum as I would normally be.
Logging in to the forum, gives me the standard forum view with the ability to post and reply like normal. (This was posted using "Iron" as my browser).
Mike
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

I had an issue with the install too, it hung on the import of search preferences.
Killed it and it opened Chrome OK and had got all my bookmarks and cookies.
It is quicker than firefox but missing my plugins.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Cloudmaster
Grafter

I've been trying Google Chrome for ten days now.  Don't recall having any problems importing Firefox stuff, but do miss the plugins, particularly Adblock Plus
xpcomputers
Grafter

Re: Adblock.
IRON has an adblock facility built-in. I haven't used it, but you download a block list file to make it work. See the website listed above (in previous my post) for details.
I'm really enjoying using Iron, it has all the speed of Chrome, but no privacy issues with Google.
I would highly recommend giving it a try.
Mike
StickyMick
Grafter

Due to Google's privacy issues I've decided to avoid it.
But I think I'll give IRON a whirl. Thanks for the link, Mike  Wink
StickyMick
Grafter

Shocked WOW
That is fast. It ported all my bookmarks and Firefox passwords across without a hitch. Very minimalist as well.
dvorak

I've installed Iron and getting the same issue with the import that I did with Chrome. Just seems to be hogging 50% of CPU without progressing.
Give it a while longer before I kill the process.
Customer / Moderator
dvorak

Hmm Iron back button doesn't work in amazon for some reason, works ok in chrome. EDIT: just managed to recreate the issue in Chrome now too.
Also Iron crashed when I opted for 'never remember this password' on a site.

Customer / Moderator
StickyMick
Grafter

Ooops Roll_eyes Spoke too soon  Lips_are_sealed
For some reason I can't log in to my Madasafish webmail now, when using Iron. I get a message saying:
Your session has ended. Possible causes:
You have been timed out after 30 minutes of inactivity.
Looks like a cookies problem but I've got "Accept all cookies" enabled.