Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chrome browser "behaviour"

HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Chrome browser "behaviour"

Ok trying out Chrome as FF is getting SLOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWEEEEER to load these days. That and the fact a new version seems to be out every week out dating my extensions  Crazy
BUT I can get middle button scrolling to work - holding middle button down in FF (et all) brings up a pointer and you can FF through a page, but in Chrome it isn't working. Anybody got a solution? (I have goggled it but all I see is 5+yr old complaints that mouse scrolling doesn't work)
14 REPLIES 14
HairyMcbiker
All Star

Re: Chrome browser "behaviour"

OK found an extension called SmoothScroll that enables the middle click scrolling again. That along with a re-load all extension and we are getting there  Wink
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

FF has a sub-second start time for me.
It takes me that long to position my mouse on a toolbar icon...

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

James
Grafter

Granted it's not on 'nix, but I moved from Firefox to Chrome because it was taking ages (30 seconds) to open up first thing in the morning.
HairyMcbiker
All Star

When I am complaining about startup times, I am including OPENING my "normal" windows & tabs (2 windows & 14/11 tabs) and THEN being able to use it, it was taking about 3 minutes to "stabilize" so I could do any browsing. Chrome just did it in ~20 sec after a "we didn't shutdown properly" message meant I had to click on the reload all.
That along with the problems I have with ff sync (it says it will then fails) means that I will be dumping ff if I can get chrome to work like I want.  Shocked
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Just shut down properly then and you will avoid all your problems...  Grin

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

HairyMcbiker
All Star

The same "issue" arises with both FF & chrome, if you have multiple windows open there is no "easy" way of closing the browser and saving BOTH windows, if you close a window and leave another open, then when you re-open it will open the ONE window not two. I just shutdown without closing them.
EDIT: a bit more trawling of the Chrome apps, reveals Session Manager, which lets you save the open tabs/windows to a "session" and reload them later. Sorted!
Now for next problem  Cheesy
Heloman
Grafter

I've used FF for the last 8 years and loved it. But then over recent months it started taking ages to load webpages.
So I tried Chrome and bingo! The websites that were taking 20-30 secs to load in FF were loading almost instantaneously.
I was wary about changing to Chrome permanently as I thought I'd lose things like AdBlock Plus. But I needn't have worried !
Ellis
Grafter

I use FF, Seamonkey and Chromium (not Chrome), the original browser which Chrome was derived from. If you installed Adblock, how did you do it?
I found Chromium very good but it didn't have many of the things which FF has, maybe that's why it's faster. The Bookmarks Manager is only available by a drop down menu, but going into "Preferences" I managed to get it as my start-up/home page. That makes it always available.
HairyMcbiker
All Star

adblock plus is available as an app now, just open the extensions manager and browse then search for adblock.
One of the FIRST things I install on a browser now  Cheesy
One issue I have with chrome now is that when I went to get a file from medafire it just looped on the first screen. FF went through to the file file.  Cry
The home page is different in chrome with the applets on it, takes a bit of getting used to  Cheesy
HairyMcbiker
All Star

One thing I can't find is a decent download client for it. I use(d) FlashGot on FF but it isn't available for Chrome  Cry
I am trying SKDownloader but it doesn't integrate and doesn't accept drag& drop.
So anybody got any suggestions?
HairyMcbiker
All Star

Ho humm, looks like I maybe switching back to FF  Cheesy
Chrome is EATING my ram, I have 3Gb and it is moving to swap now! This NEVER happened with FF  Cry
Just when I thought I had it fixed  Crazy
Ellis
Grafter

I have now switched to SeaMonkey full time now. Most of the things available for FF are available for SM (after all, they come from the same stable). So I have Adblock Plus installed.
moodymark

Do any of you folks use "noscript" for firefox? Its an essential imo and it does help the pages to load quicker as you block scripts from other sites. You do need to "teach it" initially though, allowing scripts on your known sites.
Ellis
Grafter

Yes, I've started using it. I've got to get used to it stopping some things loading until you give it the OK.