Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Choosing the right VOIP phone

delphaeus

Choosing the right VOIP phone

Hi,
I've finally decided to go ahead and give VOIP a try. Undecided
As I've recently obtained a router (BT Voyager 2110), I was hoping to go for a VOIP phone which uses this instead of my PC.
I understand there are lots of phones out there that can do this but the one's I have seen are very expensive (£70 upwards) and are mostly made for businesses. Is this the norm (there must be cheaper alternatives out there!), or am I not looking in the right place?
I do have BT cordless phones at home which I think are DECT. Is it possible to use these instead?
Also, how do these VOIP phones work with PlusTalk (if possible) when calling other people? Do I just plug the phone in and off I go?
Sorry about all the questions but I'd really appreciate any help on this as I'm completely confused.
Many thanks
2 REPLIES 2
mcgurka
Grafter

Re: Choosing the right VOIP phone

If you have a dect phone at home, your best bet may be to go for an ATA such as this http://www.voiptalk.org/products/Linksys+PAP2T
This allows you to plug in your normal phone to it, and make voip calls.
It does work with plusnets new voip service, and is a doddle to setup!
puddy
Grafter

Re: Choosing the right VOIP phone

Quote from: mcgurka

This allows you to plug in your normal phone to it, and make voip calls.
It does work with plusnets new voip service, and is a doddle to setup!

Just a word of warning some old dect phone do not have enough voltage to work on voip

for all voip calls to work you need a free port on your router just plug the voip phone in to the spare port wait a few minutes for your router to give it an internal ip address and then input its ip address in a web browser and setup your account, its really easy.
You can get routers that have in built voip ports speedtouch or draytek. Speedtouch 718wlv5 or laterest version 780 £65 or even cheaper a linksys PAP2-na adaptor get one of these for £13 from ebay
I have a siemens cordless dect phone that takes pstn calls and voip calls price £80 plus £39 for extra handsets.
Best bit with any voip equip like the one's listed above is that you dont need the computer on to make calls
Plusnet gradwell trial allows you to pick any std code in the UK and give you 240 minutes every month come have a look on the forum
puddy