Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Choosing a Browser

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Choosing a Browser

Right I have taken the plunge and switched from Firefox 3.5 to Safari 4.
I had issues with Firefox for a while now so will see how Safari shapes up.
So far it seems much quicker even with Windows Defender doing a scan in the background.
Edit: I have also changed the title from 'Safari' to more closely reflect the purpose of the thread.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
23 REPLIES 23
mal0z
Grafter

Re: Safari

Try Opera too - I actually prefer it to Safari
http://www.opera.com/

Santiago
Grafter

I installed Safari last week after Be3G recommended it.I think it is really quick too.
Word_Warrior
Grafter

Opera has some good points but it sometimes renders web sites incorrectly in my experience. Safari started off well but just upgraded to Safari 4.0.2 and it's messed with Time machine and isync in Mac OSX. This might however be a coincidence, I'm still investigating it.
But for pure eye candy and speed Safari is great. History cover flow is remarkable.
mal0z
Grafter

These browser comparisons are interesting - but when you say that Opera sometimes renders web sites incorrectly - do you mean it does it differently from IE ?.
Opera along with Firefox has often been regarded as one of the best browsers for complying with the html & CSS standards - unlike IE which just does it's own thing.
I was taught when designing websites to use Firefox and Opera to test - and then , only then to check with IE and apply "fixes to hopefully make that do something acceptable.
Opera was one of the first browsers to pass the Acid2 test following Safari
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acid2
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opera_%28web_browser%29#Standards_support
So if a web site fails to display with Opera / Firefox / Safari - but appears to work with IE - complain to the website webmaster - as they have only designed their site to work with IE.

Word_Warrior
Grafter

Quote from: mal0z
These browser comparisons are interesting - but when you say that Opera sometimes renders web sites incorrectly - do you mean it does it differently from IE ?.

Nope, I have apple mac and microsoft threw their toys out of the pram when Safari came on the scene and stopped developing IE at IE5 which is really out of date. No I build web sites using Dreamweaver and Joomla 1.5 and Opera sometimes makes the sites look odd. That said, Opera 9.63 shows the site correctly but Firefox and Safari are my browsers of choice.
As for site testing, you are absolutely right, test in as many browsers as you can, including IE (yuk!) unfortunately I can't do the IE test and I'm not running Windows just for that. but I do know that IE is in a world of it's own but sadly it's their world.
mal0z
Grafter

Agreed - I think MS should dump IE - they clearly can't design it to comply with web standards, and use one of the open source products - but pigs might fly.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

its easy to check your program compatibility on any browser, can take a while if you try to many at once though  http://browsershots.org/
Word_Warrior
Grafter

Quote from: pierre_pierre
its easy to check your program compatibility on any browser, can take a while if you try to many at once though  http://browsershots.org/

Yup, tried that but you can't beat the real thing.
The trouble with MS regarding IE is they are the biggest and most used when it comes to Browsers because your average 'joe' buys a PC and IE is the default browser. ergo "That's what I use" and of course business's around the world have MS Win and IE. The upshot is that they are arrogant, they know they can get away with 'bullying' their way around the internet. But the people who understand these things, even to a minor degree know that virtually every other browser is superior because they comply with world standards.
Microsoft are like the English abroad. "Everyone should speak English, 'coz we do" ..... "We are the world leaders"
MESSAGE TO THOSE WHO NEED TO KNOW:
Microsoft might be the biggest but they are not the best!
Oops, sorry, I got into a bit of a rant there.
"will someone kick away my soap box please"
Final point:
How many of the web designers out there have had to include a line in their website pages that corrects something that IE can't cope with. Not many I'll guess. (I'm not talking about basic HTML but more like CMS, PHP etc.
Okay Matron, you can tuck me in now. Crazy
EDIT Point:
Just revisited www.browsershots.org and remembered one of it's limitations. The drop down menu on my web site acted very strangely in IE 6. This doesn't show up on that site.
If you want to be a moderator for my site please feel free to do a screen grab of any oddities and send to me. O boy sticking my head above the parapet again Cheesy website is:-
http://www.bromsgroverfc.co.uk it is a Joomla CMS site. Oh, and I know the template isn't perfect but it is based on one of the default ones (Rhuk_milkyway).
Hey! I'm an amateur, go easy on me!
Word_Warrior
Grafter

Blimey! need a beer now! Roll_eyes
pierre_pierre
Grafter

got one web site altered in May and three others in the last year that I had trouble with on FireFox.  the best (or Worst) one was the front sales page on PN where the Value part did not display correctly, it now does
As Jim said the other day  Nil Illigitimo Desparundom
Strat
Community Veteran

Right I've used Safari for a while and found it quick but it did crash two or three times so have installed Opera and will see how that goes. Roll_eyes
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Strat
Community Veteran

Re: Choosing a Browser

Update
Opera loaded and working fine. I do believe I like this one best of all so far tested.
I am likely to stick with Opera for quite a while Cool
mal0z
Grafter

I agree Strat - I like it too.
I have used it alongside FF for some time - in fact since it became free  Smiley
But I've not installed a spell checker with it ( I'm sure there is one avaialble for it ?
I've just been too lazy

artmo
Aspiring Champion

Good to see you trying them all out before reaching your verdict Strat Smiley  Look forward to your comments once you have reached a conclusion.