cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Child safety on the Internet.

Poppyfields

Child safety on the Internet.

How do I block disturbing and adult content from ever being accessed on the Internet in my home?
11 REPLIES 11
DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

Re: Child safety on the Internet.

w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

One option is to use Open DNS with parental controls: http://www.opendns.com/home-solutions/parental-controls
Some Internet Security software (McAffee/Plusnet for example) also has parental controls.
Some routers include parental control, I couldn't list all of them but My Fritz Box uses a German 'BPjM' module (I believe this is a constantly updated blacklist) to block adult content on any chosen device (or all devices).
As a parent I use all of the above and I still have to monitor my son's internet activity and add specific blocks.
Any other suggestions will be welcomed by me as I'm happy to add further 'lines of defence'.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I use OpenDNS filtering and have found it surprisingly effective.
If you are into Linux at all, you might look at installing "DansGuardian"
picbits
Rising Star

Quote from: purleigh

If you are into Linux at all, you might look at installing "DansGuardian"

Agreed but if you're not experienced in using Linux then it can be a bit tricky to set up.
I run squid3+shorewall+Dansguardian on my server at home which filters all the devices my stepson connects wirelessly to them.
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

The only absolutely fail-safe method is to unplug your router from the phone line, although that won't stop the little darlings accessing it on their phones...
uzaman901

Hi,
I have just got my new plusnet technicolour router (i used to have the old netgear one) and I have registered with OpenDNS for the parental controls.
However, I am stuck when I access my router in order to try and change the DNS setting in order to point them to OpenDNS - under the section Dynamic DNS it states that "Use DynDNS" and NO next to it.
Does this need to be enabled for me to change the DNS to OpenDNS ones?
If so, PlusNet can you do this please?
First time on PlusNet forum.
Thank you!
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Only difference being that on a TG582n, the username and password will be admin and the router serial number.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

uzaman901

I have the technicolor tg582n plusnet router...not the speedtouch...:-(
RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

The steps in the article will work with your Technicolor tg582n. The page hasn't been updated in quite awhile so it doesn't specifically mention the latest modem/router that PlusNet are handing out now.
Oh and Technicolor is the new name for Speedtouch these days.  Wink
That's RPM to you!!
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

I've updated the article title and text to reflect that the article applies also to routers more recent than the Speedtouch. Also added a note that the appropriate Username and Password should be used when logging in.
David
David