cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cheesed off

ArthurDent
Grafter

Cheesed off

Running Win8 (yes, I know, I know) I'm deeply cheesed off with MS.
Some time ago I tried to update to Win8.1 as widely advised but it failed. After a few hours it came up with a couple of error codes, then reinstated Win8. On another thread guys have told me that MS didn't really have the reason for such failures. The only possible solution put forward was a totally clean install rather than an upgrade. Not something this dumbo will undertake lightly.
So why the devil does MS insist on telling me, almost daily, about the wonders of Win8.1 and how easy-peasy it is to upgrade? 
5 REPLIES 5
gadfly
Grafter

Re: Cheesed off

I upgraded Windows 7 SP1 to Windows 8 Pro and then Windows 8.1 and the added Update 1 to that on a low-spec desktop PC that has 1GB RAM and an AMD Athlon X2 3800+ processor dating back to 2005 with no problems. It runs very nicely. Therefore, there must be a reason your upgrade failed. Check that the system requirements for disk space, etc., are being met. I would uninstall or disable any software the interrupts the system - antivirus scanner, firewall, CCleaner set to clean at startup, any other software that runs at startup, etc., so that nothing interrupts the installation. You could search for the msconfig utility that provides a Startup tab that allows you to disable the startup programs.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Big updates like this can fail if there is something subtly wrong with the inner workings of your computer - if it has a rootkit for example.
ArthurDent
Grafter

Thanks guys. The error codes were 0x1900101 and 0x2000c. Kit is a one-year old Dell XPS 8700 (service just expired!) with 8GB dual DDR3, AMD Radeon 7570, 8GB ram, 1TB SATA. Win8 is 64bit. Nowhere near capacity. Don't believe I've got anything weird connected.
As you know, gadfly, when you decide to update you can run a check to ensure HW and SW are compatible with the new version. Fortunately it only turned up a couple of v old progs as potentially needing attention beforehand. Will certainly retry,as you suggested, with antivirus, startup progs etc disabled.
Aha! RR mentions rootkits. In another thread I have whinged about McAfee mentioning on the fly (but doing nothing about) a rootkit when running through a quick or full scan. As a result, I have downloaded and run several offerings alleged to detect and remove, including Malwarebytes anti-malware and Malwarebytes anti-rootkit (beta). Nothing found.
I posted a query on thinkbroadband forum, and one guy has replied as follows:
Seems from checking out on the web that this is a pretty common problem witth no specific fix. Problably a dodgy driver but could have numerous reasons. Have a look at http://www.infoworld.com/article/2612816/microsoft-w... which has some suggestions.
Quite honestly even Microsoft haven't a specific fix for it so it may be a case of biting the bullet and doing a clean install with bare drivers and no apps.
Is this an online update or have you tried downloading the update and doing it offline?

The Infoworld link is revealing, though also somewhat confusing to this wrinkly. As noted, I am nervous about a clean install, but haven't yet tried downloading and doing the job offline.
Cheers!  
ArthurDent
Grafter

So, how about that?
Had another go, after disabling all Startup progs as suggested. Ran for quite a time then came up with error 0x80070652, which apparently means that a previous Win update was unsuccessful. Went into Win update history and confirmed that all had been marked as Successful. Tried to migrate to 8.1 again. Talked to itself for a long time, then it completed successfully! What did I do, I hear you cry? Haven't the foggiest.
Hmmm. What odds are you offering on Mrs AD's laptop upgrading successfully in a frustration-free manner?
Does anyone else remember those halcyon 'Tomorrow's World' days when computers were going to make things so much easier for everyone?
JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

Quote from: ArthurDent
Does anyone else remember those halcyon 'Tomorrow's World' days when computers were going to make things so much easier for everyone?

Not just computers - the complexity has spread to most digital devices (my DAB alarm clock has so many menus and options I have to get the manual out to remember how to set the alarm, although that is partly because I'm retired and don't have to do it that often!  :))