Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cheap Smartphone wanted

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Cheap Smartphone wanted

OK... I`m coming around to the idea, I might want to get up to speed with the rest of the world,... and want to get hold of a "cheap" smartphone...
one that I can `play about with`.. to see how they work... and preferably one that i can use on any network, with payg....
Won`t be doing masses of texting... nor masses of anyt hing really... just the "odd" occasion to find something on the net... e.g. destination or directions when out and about...
won`t be making lots of phone calls either.... Still got a big balance left from my £10 top up last christmas.... !
So.. what should I look out for... good and bad points... when looking on ebay.... Talking about price... Dunno really ... I suppose up to £50
Your ideas and recomendations appreciated, guys....
25 REPLIES 25
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Cheap Smartphone wanted

go to a phone shop and ask for a demonstration of a few different handsets to see which sort you prefer (windows /android/iPhone) and get them to show you how to use it and explain some of the differences between models.
then once you know what you want and what network you prefer buy a handset that meets those requirements, when you buy it make sure you get a screen protector and a case and then you will start off with a device that is already fitted with the software package your chosen network guarantees to work with them, sometimes the "unlocked" phones wont work or update properly due to network specific products that you don't have access to if your with another network.....
also if you find you start using your device more frequently for browsing and such you might find its cheaper to get a sim only contract with unlimited data than continue with topups on a payg basis.
end of the day I hope you find something that suits your needs Wink

just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
shutter
Community Veteran

Thanks, nanotm.... am looking on ebay at the moment... am inclined towards a windows phone..... 
Just wondering... Is Win7.5 on a phone... 32 or 64bit..... I think Win 8 and 8.1 would be 64bit ..... correct ?  (I have a prog that I would like to run which only works well on 32bit ).....
nanotm
Pro

if you looking at windows phones you can get the bottom of the range starter phone for under £60 new http://www.amazon.co.uk/Microsoft-Lumia-435-SIM-Free-Smartphone/dp/B00SN1FYE0/ref=sr_1_1?s=telephone...
its rather basic but if it fits your needs then why not ?
as to 32/64 iirc all of them are 32 unless your looking at the upcoming lineup of premium handsets like the 15xx phablets
shutter
Community Veteran

Once again.... thanks.... actually,... was looking at that very model..... here...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Microsoft-Lumia-435-Black-Simfree-Unlocked-Windows-Smartphone-New-Cheapest...
like you say... seems to do what I want....
and if I can run my 32 bit prog on it... so much the better..... 
Looks like I`m getting updated pretty soon !!!  Cheesy
nanotm
Pro

Hopefully you don't end up feeling let down by the bargain basement of the smartphone line-up,
Although if you like the OS then you can always get a better featured version in the future, I know my kids like the 435's I got them as weekend away handsets much more so than the htc wildfire's they had for the last few years, although they don't like the poor camera on it.....still it beats risking damage to the premium grade 8x handsets that I couldn't afford to replace if they broke in the short term.....
Anonymous
Not applicable

@shutter Remember that Windows Phones run what is called Windows RT and if it is anything like the Tablets that run the same then you can't install software on it unless it's available on the Windows Store Front.
shutter
Community Veteran

OK... Thanks for both comments... there...
Possibly won`t be able to run the prog I was thinking of... but hey ho... gotta start somewhere.. and certainly don`t get on well with Android on my tablet.. nor Linux when I play around with it... so having windows XXXX on it should make it a bit easier to get used to...
not too fussed about the camera...as I have a pretty good one I always carry around with me... ( Panasonic Lumix FZ72 with 60X zoom and 16 mpx )...
PowerLee
Pro

Microsoft Lumia 535 can be had for £40 as a pay as you go upgrade from Carphone warehouse if your a Orange, Vodafone, Virgin or T mobile customer.
Its £45 if your an O2 customer.
It should be generic UK firmware & sim free / unlocked for any network.
Its also due to get Windows 10 update.
My mother got one last time it was on offer, its a decent first smart phone.
Also has a memory card slot so you can stick loads of music etc on it.
Check your sim card size whatever phone you end up with!
shutter
Community Veteran

Ho Hum..... could have saved myself £6.99 by going to carphone warehouse ! ! !...
ah... hang on... parking.. and diesel... probably save about £3.00  ... ah well.... life gets tedious, don`t it... !
thanks for the info about Win 10 , and will check the sim card size... probably going to use... a PAYG one from these people
https://www.thepeoplesoperator.com/pay-as-you-go
PowerLee
Pro

Ive been a Windows Phone user for nearly a year now, ive found it really simple to use & its also a very stable operating system - ive not had a single issue or crash yet 🙂
I have had an Android smart phone in the past, never again!
Ive also tried the I Phone, its just not for me either - I couldn't downgrade to an I Phone now  Grin
Speaking of Windows 10 for phones, the latest technical preview build has been released tonight  Cheesy
Microsoft have been rolling out the updates & bug fixes to this really quickly  Cool

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

LG20 can be had for £19.99 from CPW on an upgrade if your network says yes. No commitment to top up and none of CPW's phones are locked.
No Bluetooth IIRC but it is 3G and not 4G.
billnotben
Community Veteran

What happened to Linux smart phones?
I still have an old Motorola in my cupboard. This flip phone runs on a version of Linux and must be a Granddaddy of modern smart phones.
It's still a very pleasant and nice to use WiFi enabled phone.
And the battery lasts several days.
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Ubuntu has released a phone, but 99% of the Linux ones are Android.
@shutter good luck running any desktop app on your new phone.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

The flood of Chinese competition is well under way like this for example http://www.amazon.co.uk/electronics/dp/B00JKCB3MI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1431682259&sr=8-1&keywords=...
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine