cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cheap Laptops

Teds31
Grafter

Cheap Laptops

I'm involved as a volenteer with a Elderly persons charity and we are running basic computer classes for interested older people in an effort to let them enjoy some of the modern technology,after running two 6 week sessions it has taken off and the charity (not me) has managed to get a grant for 3 laptop computers,this will allow us to give one to one tuition to 4 people at a time.We only give very basic help, keyboard skills ,use of mouse ,drag and drop,single and double click. You get the idea,I explain this at some boring length because I am looking for advice on buying the laptops. Roll_eyes
  We need a 12/14inch screen (older people sometimes have eyesight problems) they must be laptops ,they need wireless connection,and must run windows vista it wont matter about disc space or large amounts of memory as we dont intend to use themas storage devices.Then I'll tell you we only have £800,quite a challenge I have seen one at Tesco Emachine £279,does anyone have one or know about them. Smiley
25 REPLIES 25
StickyMick
Grafter

Re: Cheap Laptops

My nephew got one of these just before Christmas: http://tinyurl.com/6w7sjk
Built by Acer, nice big, bright screen, DVDRW, wireless.
Nice machines Wink
artificer
Grafter

why must they run microsoft products?  linux will save you bags of money and is much easier to learn if you've never met a computer.
Teds31
Grafter

Thanks Mick that sounds OK as we dont need any thing fancy.TED
Teds31
Grafter

Yes we have been down that road Artificer and though I agree it seems the others think Windows is so popular that basic training ,if they decide to go further would most likely involve windows in some form.I think other people involved dont have the experiance and maybe a bit afraid,you can only go with what you got. Undecided TED
artmo
Aspiring Champion

I'm sure if you explain that you are doing with the laptops you will be able to get a discount from some retailers especially in the present climate.
Teds31
Grafter

Did think about it dont know wheather Amazon or Tesco would go with that and they  seem to have the cheaper prices,probably thats why they dont discount for individuals.
samuria
Grafter

Why do they have to be laptops and why Vista. A lot of old people would have an old pc so this would be running Xp. laptops are twice the price of a desktop. You shouldnt have a problem if you play your cards right. Local councils, colleges, companies and charities should all chip in with help if you go cap in hand and most are geared up for this type of thing and should give you more money or get old company laptops for free. Remember WEE so a lot of companies would love you to take their old computers from them
StickyMick
Grafter

Probably have to be laptops for portability, Samuria. Maybe they don't have a permanent base to hold the classes. The computer club here started off with desktops and found it such a pain to set up prior to a class, dismantling was no better either.
Not applicable

Although finances are clearly an issue, for older people I would be inclined to go for 17" if at all possible. I have to wear glasses for reading and computer work, as do many older people, and have changed to 17" for just this reason. It is much more comfortable to work with.
Also, if possible, machines with as long a warranty period as possible would be a good idea as laptops can be expensive to repair. Most only offer 1 year and you have to pay for subsequent warranty.
Am awaiting delivery on an MSI laptop which I ordered on the Internet on Monday - these do come with a 2 year warranty and having had one before, they seem to be OK. Can let you know the website if required.
Also, what about refurbished laptops? I understand that Dell have a section for these types of machines, as do many other companies.
BTW could you say where you applied for funding for this enterprise? My friend who is having the new laptop attends classes and they have had their funding cut and are having to study something else. Seems that older people are no longer priority, and have had to give way to computer education for younger folk. 
It's a big responsibility  so good luck.
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Poppy,  I had a quick look at the Dell refurbed laptops last night and they all appear to start a little above Ted's price point. 
Teds31
Grafter

Hello everybody,and thanks for all your interest.Mick is bang on with the reason for laptops as we have a temperary class room which is used all week for other purposes,and security is an issue not least of all for insurance purposes,we have a wireless internet through the biulding so we have to have wireless enabled.the sceen size is an issue but we have been useing a 14" for a while and we seem to be OK so far.The issue of more funding isnt really in my court,it has taken a long hard slog from other members to get this far and as Poppy says old people what ever we think are a very low priority,the organisation as a whole has many other important issues with the elderly and it wouldn't be fair to ask them to try for more funding for a project which isnt really at the top of thier list. This is beginning to sound like a real Grumpy Old Man Theme Angry but I do appeciate all your imput and I will take it on board ,thankyou again and I will keep in touch.TED
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Ted, here's another thought.  ASDA have a laptop for sale at £289.  It appears to meet your requirements except that it is only a 14.1" screen.
If this is of any use to you as you are a local boy I would be tempted to phone ASDA head office to see if they will do something for you. Their CEO is Andy Bond and he may want to help a local cause.  here's the link to the laptop:
http://direct.asda.com/Emachines-Dual-Core-Laptop/000584169,default,pd.html
Teds31
Grafter

Well worth a try Artmo,being as you say local,it seems a very good spec for the money,if we could get maybe £275 as we are buying three.Thanks again and I will put it too the people who matter. TED Smiley
StickyMick
Grafter

That Asda one sounds like a good buy. Better spec than the Amazon one I posted. If it's got a VGA out connector on it (the Amazon one has) it can be plugged into a standard monitor if needed (ideal for the visually impaired).