Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cheap IP camera solution.

FIXED
MrFraggle
Grafter

Cheap IP camera solution.

Want to keep an eye on a sanctuary I have built for a visiting cat which may well be a stray, I caught it trying to eat boiled eggs and some cooked potato stuff someone had left out for the birds which indicated that it was pretty hungry. I put a bowl of food out for it and the following day it came and ate the lot but as soon as it saw me it was off.
Today I managed to get withing 10 feet but then it was off most days I miss it but I know it has been. I have put up notices and spoken to my cats vet but no one knows the beast, it does not look in a bad condition but that does not necessarily mean it is not a stray. 
Anyhoo I would like to set up some sort of surveillance so that, hopefully, over time I can gain it's trust and hopefully get it checked over for a chip.

One of these cameras has been suggested https://www.amazon.co.uk/Accfly-Wireless-Waterproof-Surveillance-Detection/dp/B07CXD4RLG?tag=av0c-21 but I note it says "This wireless IP Camera only supports 2.4G WiFi,it can't supports 5G WiFi.Most routers use one of 2 different frequencies..Most routers have both 2 frequencies,you simply login to your 2.4GHz network to finish connecting." Is this likely to be an issue with the Plusnet Hub one router?

9 REPLIES 9
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Re: Cheap IP camera solution.

Fix

No. All Plusnet routers support the 2.4 GHz band. For the record the Hub One has both.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

MrFraggle
Grafter

Thanks mate, thought as much.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

@MrFraggle it might be a good idea to split the SSID's on the router i.e give the 2.4G and 5G different SSID's by adding something like _5G to the 5Ghz one. That way a device like your proposed IP camera that can only support 2.4G doesn't get confused by a 5G signal using the same SSID.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MrFraggle
Grafter

Can you give me a walkthrough on how to achieve this please mate?

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

@MrFraggle

Have a look at the last post on this thread which appears to explain how to do it.

MrFraggle
Grafter

Cheers mate that looks perfect.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

I agree that it's always a good idea to separate the two bands Considering the number of issues it causes I can't understand why Plusnet and BT sync them by default then have to respond to complaints of poor wifi performance and publish information telling customers how to separate them..

However in this sort of instance I think it highly unlikely that a device would get confused with a signal it can't detect.

@MrFraggle

Having separated the two bands you need to go back into the wifi settings on all your dual band wireless devices and try each band in turn to see which works best.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

MrFraggle
Grafter

Will do thanks.

MJN
Pro
Fixes: 5

As Baldrick1 says there's no need to separate the SSIDs in this instance. The camera won't even detect the 5GHz signal, never mind be confused by the SSID that is transmitted on it.