cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charms? Grrr.

ArthurDent
Grafter

Charms? Grrr.

In general I now cope with the irritations of Win8.1 . However those 'charms' are anything but. My wobbly fingers seem to bring them sliding in when I don't want them, thank you very much.
I've seen a method of disabling them on laptops, but it doesn't work on my non-touchscreen desktop.
Is there a way I can get rid, please?
11 REPLIES 11
CX
Grafter

Re: Charms? Grrr.

If you install Classic Shell, there is an option under Classic Start Menu, Windows 8.1 settings to disable active corners.
ArthurDent
Grafter

Many thanks, CX. Done that, and it looks like a useful facility all round.
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

How DO you disable it on a desktop/laptop?
Thanks
NE
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

I can check right now (my win 8 machine is in bits) but iirc you can adjust such things in settings, or get classic shell and just have the old style start menu (because the bonk implementation on w8 is missing 90% of the useful stuff it should have)
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
pvmb
Aspiring Pro

Am I the only person in the world who likes Windows 8?
I came straight from XP to Win 8, so it was quite a shock when my 'new' laptop finally booted up! "Wot? I have no idea what to do!"
But I poked a few keys to see what would happen and went from there. Eventually I got a nice book from the library: Windows 8 'in easy steps', by Michael Price & Stuart Yarnold.
I'd heard such bad things on the Internet, such as: "You can't boot to the Desktop - it takes hours of work and add on programs to get it looking like Windows" that I was quite put off. Indeed it does boot to the Metro Start Screen, but it is only one click from there to the Desktop. What's the problem?
I agree it is a bit 'schizophrenic', with the Metro/Desktop divide and also being at once stripped down and do-it-yourself (no games included!) yet quite complex under the hood. I got used to it quite quickly - but you do need to know the magic key combinations to e.g. print or exit from the 'apps'! It usually seems clever enough to work through most installation issues and problems by itself.
I am so used to it that I now worry whether I should or should not 'upgrade' to the 8.1 version.
HPsauce
Pro

Quote from: pvmb
I am so used to it that I now worry whether I should or should not 'upgrade' to the 8.1 version.
You definitely should, it's better and supported. MS are trying to forget Windows 8 as if it never existed and even 8.1 is being pushed forwards to Windows 10 ASAP with free upgrades later this year.
nanotm
Pro

8.1 is almost the same as 8 except it will now boot to desktop by default (you can change that in personalisation settings if you prefer)
its faster and better optimised although you need to have everything fully updated for the 8.1 patch to actually work (I had to find and install a few store updates)
otherwise if it fails your stuck with an update error message ....

personally I upgraded from 7 to 8 and loved it (it matched my phone ) but went back to 7 because of problems with several games not being compatible on my primary pc, every other system in the house has 8.1 pro on it though and everyone loved it almost immediately and there looking forward to win10 with cortana for pc/tablet in fact some of them are bugging me to buy them new phones to get cortana now as that's what swmbo has .....
pvmb
Aspiring Pro

Win 8 is still "supported" - I haven't installed all the updates yet, but they are still coming in. I deinstalled the crafty "getting ready for Windows 8.1" update when I found out what it was about. 🙂
What you say seems to imply Win 8.1 is significantly different from Win 8. But, as I am pretty happy with 8, I don't want now to 'upgrade' and find it has all changed again!
nanotm
Pro

8.1 is 8 with some improvements the improvements are 90% under the hood and only minor gui changes can be found (the primary one being that none touch enabled machines default to the desktop after the upgrade)
all the commands and hotkeys are the same
pvmb
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: nanotm
8.1 is almost the same as 8 except it will now boot to desktop by default (you can change that in personalisation settings if you prefer)
its faster and better optimised although you need to have everything fully updated for the 8.1 patch to actually work (I had to find and install a few store updates)
otherwise if it fails your stuck with an update error message ....

You've almost convinced me! Do you have any idea how much more disc space 8.1 will chew up?
I think I know what you mean about the updates - I am aware that one (which I removed) sets you up for a later automatic 'upgrade' to 8.1, which is more than a bit cheeky IMO. Strangely, there are two routes from 8 to 8.1, that auto "upgrade" and getting it from the MS Store, which continously shows it as freely available on my Metro interface. For some reason this approach is supposed to need more disc space - at least for installation. I am a bit puzzled by this. Anyway, my laptop manufacturer has a good web page about how to prepare your machine for the change.
nanotm
Pro

I found that after the temp files were deleted it took up the same space on the hdd, my original install was 32gb in size (pc) and the 8.1 downloaded via the store was also 32gb in size, however I did have a 128gb ssd with nothing else on it at the time everything else being on a separate scorpio black 750gb hdd (the laptops I bought came with a naff 160gb drive that I originally upgraded to 360gb drives and subsequently bought the extra parts to add in the second hdd)
one really good thing about the "cheaper amd based laptops" was that they all had twin drive headers although not the caddies nor the cables, fortunately ebay came to the rescue Smiley