cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Channel 5 -Demand Five- watching last night's TV

community
Grafter

Channel 5 -Demand Five- watching last night's TV

Has anyone tried this free TV Programmes site?
You are supposed to be able to watch a programme you missed recently on channel 5.
Last night I was unable to watch at 1915 the "Royal Institution Christmas Lectures, Episode TWO" because of a domestic crisis.
The lectures run every night this week (five episodes).
I watched the first one on Monday night and found it absolutely fascinating because it is all about Computers, told in very down-to -earth style which makes the wonderful world of computers understandable to everyone.........
The problem is that when I went to the channel5 website tonight to watch last night's episode, I got an error on my screen, saying "you don't have the correct Media Player".
It said I should download Windows Media Player....and although I already have  the latest version, I went along and downloaded the player, not once but 3 times because I still got the same message about "you haven't got the correct media player"  Angry
So, my plea to anyone is .......Did anyone see it last night and saved a copy?
OR, does anyone know what might be the trouble with the download of  Windows Media Player for me??????
By the Way, if you want to know ALL about the rise of the computer and later what is expected to be the next wonders of computers, you should think about watching Episode 3 tonight on channel 5 at 1915 to 2000.
cheers
Eddie Johnson
7 REPLIES 7
bobboulby
Grafter

Re: Channel 5 -Demand Five- watching last night's TV

I've just tried Episode 2 and it worked but the streaming was very lumpy. The iPlayer is fine so I wonder if the traffic is being properly prioritised. Sorry I know this isn't much help but I didn't get the same errors as you.
I've got Media Player version 11.0.5721.5230 running on XP SP3.
Bob
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Managed to make it work on IE7 but not Firefox - very lumpy though
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I got it running on Firefox, but the standard was atrocious, not worth watching.
The upgrade was a non copy addition to WMP - considering it was listed as a free view and not savable, BBCi is much better
community
Grafter

Thanks for your quick replies...looks as if Channel 5 is way behind on the technology as yet.....
I also tried other browsers with the same message "wrong media player"  Sad
cheers
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

It certainly is.
I tried to watch something on Linux and it asked me to "Please install the Windows Media Plugin to watch this programme".
I couldn't see the point in that and went elsewhere.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

netreg
Grafter

I used it once.  The streaming was ok when it worked but Windows Media Player repeatedly stopped every 4 or 5 mins  Undecided and i had to restart it from the beginning and then forward it onto the point i was at... 
scootie
Grafter

Quote from: bobboulby
I've just tried Episode 2 and it worked but the streaming was very lumpy. The iPlayer is fine so I wonder if the traffic is being properly prioritised. Sorry I know this isn't much help but I didn't get the same errors as you.
I've got Media Player version 11.0.5721.5230 running on XP SP3.
Bob

being picked up as gold 0x80. well this stream was that i tested anyway http://demand.five.tv/Episode.aspx?episodeBaseName=C5140990005