Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change user name on Microsoft Login

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Change user name on Microsoft Login

When I started the setting up of this new laptop.... I made a mistake on spelling my name as the User..... because the keyboard is different to my other laptop... so my fingers were not in the correct place ! !  Doh !... is there anyway I can change that user (owner) name  ( could be the PC name)... not sure  but it appears with my email address on opening screens...
8 REPLIES 8
sjptd
Grafter

Re: Change user name on Microsoft Login

Not sure exactly what you mean, but try
Control Panel\User Accounts and Family Safety\User Accounts  and then 'Change you account name'
(when logged in to the user with the wrong name)
There will be remnants of the old name that don't change, for example the user's data will still be in c:/Users/oldname
shutter
Community Veteran

hmm.... when I go there it shows the "user name".. (according to "system information" that is what it is)... but there is no way to change that... 
this may help identify what I am trying to do....... according to "User Profile" GERRY/Gerru E  want to chage the last part !...  Embarrassed
Under OS (C:) there is a folder Gerru but there is no option to "rename" ....
philipr06
Grafter

In windows 7 its
Control Panel
User accounts
change your account name
not sure about windows 8 as I refuse to use it
shutter
Community Veteran

OK... got it !.... a bit complicated... hope I can remember what I did..... control panel.... user account... make changes to my account in PC settings....  More account changes On Line... then after getting a security check and pin number from microsoft... a page opens and on the top menu there is "Your Info"... click on that, and you can then change the User Name !......
YAY !...
stumble about long enough, and sure to trip over something that may be useful...  ! ! ! ! ...  Cheesy

Case Closed !  Cheesy
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

I'm not sure what happens with Windows 8 but with previous Windows versions you could change the User Name but the folder name remained the same.  The only way to expunge a spelling mistake completely was to set-up a new User Account then delete the old one.
shutter
Community Veteran

@RR..... well, I wasn`t sure either... but I managed to stumble across it.... and you are welcome to make notes of my previous post giving information on how to change the User Name in Win 8  Roll_eyes
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

I'm not sure you grasped my point, Shutter.  On Windows 7 (and 10) my folder is C\:Users\Reed and this does not change even when I change my User Name.  So a new User Name is mapped to the old folder.  But you would only know this by looking in C:\Users
On Windows 8 my User Name is something like C:\Uses\Reedr_000 so neither my User Name nor my Microsoft Account email (but presumably based on the latter). 
shutter
Community Veteran

Ah, Yes,.... maybe you are right about the folder name.... just checked and it still named Gerru ... so probably need to set up a new profile and delete that one... if that`s the way to do it...    my previous does change the name on the "login" page though ! ! ...