Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change of Browser

FIXED
penneck
Aspiring Pro

Change of Browser

According to the BBC News website when I tried to watch a video news report, the Adobe browser I use (is that Flash?) is being discontinued at the end of 2019, so I need to find a replacement. Does anyone have a recommendation, please?

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: Change of Browser

Fix

Adobe don't have a browser - although they do provide an add-on that allows you to play flash content on videos.

Flash is being discontinued by most sites.

Any modern browser (HTML5 capable) such as Firefox or Chrome etc will be fine.

Try https://html5test.com/ on your chosen browser.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@penneck 

Recently I tried to find an old BBC topic for a friend. This needed Flash to run. I found that it had been shunted off into their unsupported archive. I assume that the beeb are doing this to absolve themselves from any responsibility relating to the use of allegedly insecure Flash.

I had a job finding a modern mainstream browser that actually allows the installation of the Flash extension. Chrome was the only one I found and then I had to accept multiple levels of dire warnings to install and run it.

I would be very careful using Flash. I suspect that you may be using an old browser.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

penneck
Aspiring Pro

@VileReynard  & @Baldrick1 

I guess that is it then. My misunderstanding. I've got IE11, and Chrome, and Firefox (my preferred order of use). I use IE11 for most browsing, particularly the BBC News website, and I was wondering why they were talking about my browser but naming Flash. It wasn't one that rang a bell in my unreliable memory as being a browser

I've just tried looking at the Beeb on Chrome, and the one-off test worked, so hopefully you have solved the problem

Thanks to both of you. Have a good weekend