Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Celeron D 335 2.8GHz

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Celeron D 335 2.8GHz

Hi
I was given some old systems a while back courtesy of the local freecycle. They were all dead but I managed to salvage some good working parts like GFX cards, HDDs, memory etc.
Amongst the dead units was a 2.8GHz Celeron D powered Imedia 1402. Lucky for me the thing wasn't actually dead... the CPU wasn't plugged into the socket! The CPU had stuck to the heat sink. It had been removed previously by someone who had taken the CPU out of the socket without realizing the lever should be lifted. Obviously with the heatsink in the way the lever couldn't be lifted and so the CPU came out with the heat sink. Anyway I quickly realised what had happened and scrapped off the sticky stuff and chucked on a nice big blob of thermal paste. Reattached the heat sink and the thing worked - YIPPEE!
Anyway when running, this thing is reaching temperatures of 55degrees C most of the time.
According to http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Celeron_D/Intel-Celeron%20D%20335%20-%20RK80546RE072256%20-%20NE80546R... it has a maximum of 67. Obviously I've got 12 degrees to maximum and I fear that should I push this machine to the limits on some heavy number crunching the CPU might decide to burn out.
Is 55 normal for a Celeron D? Should it be lower? Is there such a thing as too much thermal paste? (I thought the more there was meant the better it would conduct - am i wrong?)
Many thanks
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
17 REPLIES 17
Be3G
Grafter

Re: Celeron D 335 2.8GHz

I'm afraid I can't advise with regards to the Celeron specifically - it's been years since I used one of those... however I can tell you that too much thermal paste is indeed a bad thing. The purpose of thermal paste is to fill in microscopic gaps between the processor and the heat sink that sits on top of it; it's used because it's more conductive of heat than air alone is. However, the paste still isn't as conductive as the items it's sandwiched between, which means that it actually acts as a resistor to heat - only, it's less resistant than air. What this means is that you want to use as little of it as possible, so that it fills the space of any unwanted tiny air pockets but without adding unnecessary resistance to the flow of heat from the CPU to the heatsink.
chillypenguin
Grafter

Quote from: okrzynska
Is there such a thing as too much thermal paste?

I will second Thomas's comments.
For thermal efficiency the thermal paste must be as thin as possible. Try spreading it with an old credit card, that should leave a layer of about the right thickness.
Also it is possible to break the CPU die with too much paste, when you fit the heat sink.
Chilly
7up
Community Veteran

Thanks guys, I'll clean off the much and reattach the heat sink Wink
7up
Community Veteran

Well I've cleaned it off and reapplied a far smaller amount. The CPU temperature is now down to a maximum of 52 degrees while defragging its HDD.
It's averaging at around 48-50 while not doing much.
Is that normal for a Celeron D? Or at least acceptable?
EDIT: Too good to be true... It's now hanging at the 52 mark and keeps edging towards 55. Maybe I should try cleaning again and using even less thermal...
ANOTHER EDIT: Well cleaned off some more thermal and now the temperature is hitting 57  Angry What should I do? I'm using the original heatsink and fan that came with it but I just can't get the temperature to drop by a decent amount. I really don't want this processor to burn out as its the fastest one I have!
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

According to the Intel datasheet for the Celeron D335 it should operate between 5 and 67 IIRC, so while your chip is on the higher end of that, it's still got room to manoeuvre before hitting the top temp.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
7up
Community Veteran

But surely anything around 57 degrees is bad... I've only ever had one other system running that hot and its now dead and awaiting a rebuild.
It's a rather nice 2.8GHz chip and I'd rather not let it burn out. Any thoughts on how to cool better? I do have one other heatsink but it was from another intel clocked at 2.4GHz (which ironically had also burnt out) so I'm reluctant to try that heat sink.
chillypenguin
Grafter

Quote from: okrzynska
I really don't want this processor to burn out as its the fastest one I have!

Then stop messing about with it, as you are far more likely to bust it playing with the heatsink. (Sorry)
Did you use high quality "silver" terminal paste? This is far better that the normal white silicon grease heatsink compound.
If the Celeron D is the type of processor that I think it is (same as the old Pentium D), its basically two processors on the same die, so they do double as a space heater. Watch your electricity bill.
7up
Community Veteran

Hi
Yes its definately silver stuff - Cooler mate its called. Had it floating around for about 3 years now lol. At the time it was the best quality stuff the shop had available.
2 proccesors? Does that mean I can call it a dual core? cpu-world didn't mention anything about it.
Don't get me started on the leccy bill lol... My mrs has gone a bit ape recently about that. Think I'm going to have to make a couple of machines redundant for a while.
I like this 2.8GHz though, its very fast at what it does. I just wish I hadn't broke the quiet PSU as I'm now using a AMD one and its very loud Sad
chillypenguin
Grafter

The 2.8GHz Celeron D has two Intel EMT 64 cores for great performance, whether you are using 32-bit or 64-bit software. The 533MHz FSB can address more than 4GB of virtual and physical memory, assuming you are using a compatible operating system.

I am guessing that you did not quite know what you had picked up. Great find on FreeCycle!!!
Dual core 64bit.
The downside, is to run that 24/7 is going to cost you over £50 per year!!!
7up
Community Veteran

Hmm... This is my processor:
http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Celeron_D/Intel-Celeron%20D%20335%20-%20RK80546RE072256%20-%20NE80546R...
But I can't see it referring to dual core anywhere. Mine has the prescott core. I can see the smithfield core is dual but from the looks of what I can find its just a single... I think.
I'll admit if it is dual core I've got bargain of the year as a freebie lol. Now I just need to get this cooling issue under control so the chip runs cooler.
Any chance you could post a link to tht info chilly?
chillypenguin
Grafter

This was the link that I got my quote from; http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?Item=N82E16819112205
But even on double checking the page, in one place its says Single Core and another it says Dual Core!!!
It looks like we (I) have fallen foul of Intel's marketing departments smoke and mirrors;
Pentium D(ual Core)
Celeron D(eceive plebs into thinking that this is a Dual Core)
I am running a couple of machines using the Pentium D, I had assumed that the Celeron D was the same process with less cache.
Some more links that may be of interest;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celeron_M#Pentium_M_Celerons
It should also be stated that unlike the Pentium D, the Celeron D is not a dual core processor.

http://www.intel.com/products/processor/Celeron_d/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentium_D
http://www.intel.com/products/desktop/processors/pentiumd/pentiumd-overview.htm

Simple way of checking if your processor is Dual Core;
cat /proc/cpuinfo

Or on Windows Ctrl+Alt+Del and there should be two graphs for CPU usage history.
artificer
Grafter

when you remove a heat sink from the cpu with view to refreshing the thermal compound, you will get much better results if you thoroughly clean both joining surfaces with isopropyl alcohol.  cotton buds are good for this and the great beauty of alcohol is its rapid evaporation.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Just out of interest what are you using to measure the temps?
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
7up
Community Veteran

I was using Speedfan. It's always matched temperatures that I get from the bios when I suddenly hit reset and go straight in to check them in there. I've never known speedfan to be wrong yet.
Cheers for the links and the cleaning tips guys. I've always used toilet paper and brute force to remove old thermal - its always worked for me! Not ideal I know and probably breaks every anti-static rule going but there we go!
No my processor doesn't have 2 CPU history tabs so it's just single core as I'd suspected originally. Still, 2.8GHz, 1/2 GB ram plus mobo and dvd burner all for free still ain't bad really is it Wink I just really wish I could bring down the temperature a bit more.
What about sticking in a bit of tin foil to conduct the heat straight to the heat sink? - in replacement of the paste...