cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cant get an IP address

juliasdream
Grafter

Cant get an IP address

I have an easynote notebook with built in wireless.
it uses an Intel Pro/Wireless 2200BG card
Sometimes it connects to my modem/router "Voyager 2110" and gets an IP address ok and sometimes not.
Even when it connects it seems to disconnect again whenever I open a browser or try to update the antivirus. Then comes an error cant find IP address again
Plusnet support cant help and I dont feel happy to call Packard bell or PC World on their extortionate premium rate numbers.
Could anyone please advise
6 REPLIES 6
samuria
Grafter

Re: Cant get an IP address

If you only use it on the  home network the solution is simple give it a static ip and that will solve the problem. First get a connection thats working. Then open a cmd window(start/run cmd) then type ipconfig /all  not down the following
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.10
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.2
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 212.159.6.10
Then in the network setting for the card type them in manually save and you should get no  more problems with the IP.
It does suggest you are getting a poor signal so it may be worth changing the channel to see if that helps.
paulby
Grafter

To add to what Samurai has said - if you set a static IP address you need to make sure that it's outside the range that can be assigned by DHCP from your router.  You'd need to go into the router's control panels and find out what address range it uses (it's likely to be 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.x).  If x is already some value less than 254 then you can safely assign IP addresses above the value of x up to 254.  Otherwise, you'd need change the range to something like 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.50 (which is more than adequate for a home situation).  You can then set a static IP of, say, 192.168.1.100
The subnet mask should be set to 255.255.255.0  The default gateway and DNS should be set as per what you found using ipconfig /all (normally they can be set to the IP address of the router).
If you don't set the IP outside the range assigned by DHCP then you run the risk that should you connect another computer, games console, VoIP adapter etc.,  it will be assigned the same IP address as your PC.  In this case you'll get an address conflict and neither your PC or the other device will be able to access your local network or the internet.
Just remember that if you set a static IP and wish to take your laptop to a WiFi hotspot etc., you'll need to change it back to obtaining the settings automatically.
onedart
Dabbler

I keep losing my connection after 3-4 hours forcing me to reboot.
I have changed my IP to static at:  Member Centre > Connection Settings > Control Your Broadband > Change IP Settings
and it gives me Your static IP: 195.166.151.146   Your network mask: 255.255.255.255
Do I have to configure my router and laptop's IPv4 settings the same?
For some reason my router (V2910) always goes back to dynamic IP, after setting to static when I reboot (router)?
or could there be another cause?
Cheers.
paulby
Grafter

@onedart
You need leave your router set to obtain its IP address dynamically.  PN will automatically assign it the same IP address each time you connect.
You don't need to reconfigure your PCs either. 
penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

@juliasdream.
I would follow the advice of pual and samuria, as I have a router which basically is useless at DHCP, having to wait ages to be assigned an IP sometimes. Moved to static, and all OK.
Just a thought, does it work OK directly wired to the router, to rule out a wireless issue. Sometimes if you have wrong wireless security key, it will appear to connect ok etc, but you cant do anything else at all....
MickKi
Grafter

Both posters will need to allocate static IP addresses for any PCs on their LAN at the router.  The setting for this should be under LAN settings, or Local Network, or Access Control List, or MAC control (try to find a manual on the Internet and search for setting static LAN IP address for PC - not Internet IP address for router which should be set to obtain from ISP).
Hope this helps.