Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cant configure Chromecast

FIXED
AlexB
Hooked

Cant configure Chromecast

Hiya, seeking help/ guidance/ Anything,

I've got a PN Sagem 2704N router. My family got me a Chromecast this week, and I cant get the two to talk to each other - the C/cast works and seems to be seeking a network (flashing white light) but it doesn't seem to be picking up my wifi network - Router is in direct line of sight and about 10ft away.

I'm not a techie, but am comfortable accessing the Router's settings menus, if there's anyone out there......

Cheers, and hoping for your help oh great esteemed ones in the Plusnet Community

12 REPLIES 12
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: Cant configure Chromecast

Does this help - I don't understand Chrome...

http://www.howtogeek.com/199565/mirror-anything-from-your-computer-to-your-tv-using-google-chromecas...

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

@AlexB,

Hi , I assume you are trying to setup the Chromecast using the Google Home app https://support.google.com/chromecast/answer/2998456?hl=en-GB .

How far along the setup are you getting ? does the app 'see' the Chromecast initially and allow you to put in the wifi details for your router ?

I've set up my Chromecast on quite a few wifi networks in the past and only had trouble with one...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

AlexB
Hooked

Thanks for the quick response, I'm using a Win 10 pc, have downloaded Chrome, got the Chromecast add-on.
The Chrome software can't find the Cast unit, and I assume the flashing white light on the cast unit is seeking my wifi network, to no avail.

I've tried adjusting some of the settings on the Router, UpnP etc as Google suggest - a couple I can't access, AP being one.

Minivanman
Legend
Fixes: 1

It does seem that not everything works with everything, at least not easily.

I had a few hiccups with setting mine up to work from the laptop (Windows 10) at first, it totally refuses to connect with my Kindle, but Mrs Minivanmans Tesco tablet works a treat. Crazy2

Truth is like a threshing machine; tender sensibilities must keep out of the way.
Herman Melville
AlexB
Hooked

Quick response, thanks - will work my way through this link, and let you know how I get on.

Thanks again,

A

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Thanks for the quick response, I'm using a Win 10 pc, have downloaded Chrome, got the Chromecast add-on.
The Chrome software can't find the Cast unit, and I assume the flashing white light on the cast unit is seeking my wifi network, to no avail.

Initially, since the Chromecast hasn't got the settings for your wifi network, you can't communicate with it to set it up, catch 22!. So what it does, is set itself up as a simple wifi hotspot, the setup app/add-on then sees this hotspot and connects directly to it.  The app can then configure it with your wfif details, the Chromecast disables it's hotspot and connects to your wifi. You can then cast to it via your network.

Is your PC connected via a wired or a wireless connection ? I'm not sure how the setup would work if it's wired.

With a wireless connection, during the setup the app needs to be able to disconnect from your normal wifi and connect directly to the Chromecast.

TBH I've always setup mine using the google app on my Android tablet so I've no direct experience of trying it from a Windows PC...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

AlexB
Hooked

Slightly reassured I'm not alone. Undecided

AlexB
Hooked

My PC is hard wired to the the router, 

The chromecast setup page runs on Chrome, but after a pretty circle thing spinning around for a few minutes there's a message displayed regarding a technical issue and try again in a few minutes.

Ah the joy of technology.... Knuppel

Minivanman
Legend
Fixes: 1

I've found YouTube of help sometimes with this sort of thing. Reading a written explanation is not always as easy as watching someone do it Thumbs_Up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdRWQ7kq67Y

Truth is like a threshing machine; tender sensibilities must keep out of the way.
Herman Melville
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Fix

@AlexB,

My PC is hard wired to the the router, 

You need to do the initial setup from a wireless enabled device https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/chromecast/Xqmubkscrgo

Once it's setup then you should be able to use it via your wired PC but you can't do the setup from it. Do you have a smartphone/tablet or laptop  you could use for the initial setup ?

AlexB
Hooked

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!! On it. Smiley

AlexB
Hooked

Folks, many thanks to you all for your help and support - first time I've used a support forum, so I'm impressed.

All Google have to say is that the Chromecast first needs set up on a wireless device - how hard would that be for them? Or is it me who's the dinosaur still using cables and wires??????????Huh

many thanks again.

A