cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon inkjet printer problem!

Not applicable

Re: Canon inkjet printer problem!

Quote from: billbo
If the contents of a an ink/toner cartridge were carcinogenic they would have to carry a health warning.

I wouldn't be so sure - some of the cheap toiletries many people will receive at Christmas might use a carcinogenic preservative system.
None of the products (many brands, from premium to budget) we make now use a dangerous preservative system, but its not long ago that one of the cheapest was Formaldehyde - You'll see its widely used in many applications, and although its a carcinogen, very few if any of the products its used in carry a warning. (Why would you warn if you don't have to - commercially it could put you at a disadvantage)
Don't have blind faith in the Gov to ensure you get full warning about stuff.
petlew
Pro
Fixes: 2

Thanks James, I rest my case...(I think!!) I don't have a "blind faith" in anything this government does.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
petlew
Pro
Fixes: 2

Incidentally Shutter, that is a very useful website you recommended...bookmarked for future reference.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
jmd
Grafter

Quote from: James_H

I wouldn't be so sure - some of the cheap toiletries many people will receive at Christmas might use a carcinogenic preservative system.
None of the products (many brands, from premium to budget) we make now use a dangerous preservative system, but its not long ago that one of the cheapest was Formaldehyde - You'll see its widely used in many applications,

Formaldehyde is also something that people with skin allergies can be affected by - especially as it is found in things like washing powder!
sorry - I know this is somewhat off topic but could explain need to protect yourself if you are filling your own ink cartridges............... etc
Not applicable

The International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) has concluded that there is sufficient evidence of carcinogenicity in experimental animals from carbon black, which is contained in this product, and insufficient evidence of carcinogenicity in humans. The IARC classifies carbon black as a 2B - possible human carcinogen.

Taken from a HP MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) for its Toner Cartidges Linky
As far as pigment inks go, I should think you are likely to be fine, although as the product is not designed/produced for use on the human skin, there will be little control of microbial contaminations, or chemical sensitation tests.
As a matter of course, its best to wear rubber gloves, and perform the procedure in a well ventilated area. Avoid breathing fumes. Clear up sensibly afterwards, disposing of any residue carefully (don't wash down sink/burn etc.)