Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon inkjet printer problem!

newinvention
Grafter

Canon inkjet printer problem!

Hi there,
Got a problem with my i550 Canon inkjet. The yellow ink cartridge ran out so I replaced it - all went fine and first few prints came out good. Then suddenly it's as if the yellow ink has run out again, since it began printing out with no yellows - making my landscape photos look like colour infrared! I've gone through the cleaning process twice, the deep cleaning process twice, after which it printed fine one time and has now reverted to no yellow. Anyone any ideas? Cd it be a fault cartridge?
19 REPLIES 19
petlew
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Canon inkjet printer problem!

Assuming you've used a Pukka Canon cartridge (er! not a refilled cart or home refilled, some inks can be very suspect) it's unlikely to be the cartridge itself. Much more likely the print head has a blockage...possibly dried out if it's been used with an empty cartridge for a while. You could try the head "deep cleaning" process in yor printer properties/maintenance several times consecutively (I guess it has that?) if that fails, I suspect you're in for a new print head...which might be more expensive than replacing the printer altogether.
If you have used anything else except a Canon cartridge, save yourself the trouble of contacting Canon themselves, as they don't want to know you. And apparently they can tell the difference in inks should they get to see your printer or parts thereof. And will promptly charge you for everything involved in the check.
Just one quick question, was there any delay between opening the cartridge packing (Canon) and installing it? left to their own devices cartridges will dry out fairly quickly left in the open air. Now that could give you the problem you describe.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

I have a couple of HP Deskjet printers, and use refill inks to re-fill the cartridges myself..... Hp cartridges have the print head on the cartridge.... This may help you clear your blockage.  I have made up a template that says THIS IS RED all over the page (full size A4) with maximum print area covered. I use the biggest font size I can and biggest font "bigmomma" is quite good, then I set the printer to print using maximum or heavy ink, and run the sheet until the colour comes true..... Obviously you change the text to read YELLO if you want to be true  !
Otherwise, if the print head is so stuck up, a new printer for about £50  will give good print quality,  (I recommend HP) because the print head is on the cartrige, and you can clean them by standing it on a piece of damp kitchen towel.
Just re-read my post, and see I forgot to mention that you need to set the colour of print for the text  THIS IS RED before you actually print the page !..
petlew
Pro

Uhmm! interesting point that about cartridge/print head v ink only. Leaving aside the "fill your own" approach for the moment. Which is ultimately the more economic the Canon (and others) ink only or HP's combined?
To return to "fill your own" (fyo) since the early days of dot matrix rumours have continued to circulate that the materials used in ink-jet are carcinogenic (together with toner in copiers) Is there any real truth in this or is it something that's perpetuated by big printer companies to discourage fyo? I remember that the service contractor who serviced photocopiers in a office I worked in a while was very very wary about the toner (he used rubber gloves and a face mask)
The only occasion I tried fyo was a complete disaster, necessitating the replacement of the printer.
Do high street "ink" shops have any good points?

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
petlew
Pro

Just had a memory jog. There used to be available an ink system of exterior large capacity ink tanks connected to and continuously refilled the standard cartridges via small bore flexible pipes. Saw a test of the device in a computer magazine some years ago. Don't think they gave it much of a good review. does anybody know anything about it?

Bob_Milton
Grafter

There are some comments by Which on inks etc.
Which Report
cp:blue Long URL converted to a link. mod:end
shutter
Community Veteran

The only way to compare the costs between HP and Cannon/Epson, would be to work out the cost per ml on each cartridge.  But don`t forget the HP also include a "new " print head. They seem to be larger capacity compared to Cannon/Epson, so making C/E replacement  probably 2 or 3 times ....
I understand your concerns about the ink, when you get a refill kit you are advised to wear gloves, this is to protect your hands from the inks which I have found to be very difficult to remove. It may be a "health hazard", but I am "long in the tooth" and ensure I keep washing until I am satisfied that it is clean....
As for the High street shops, I have not tried them... They may well be a worthwhile option for HP as they are usually larger capacity. and compared to the "official" replacement cartridges from main dealers etc., you know you are getting a FULL cartridge, and not a 40% job.  Not sure for the Cannon/Epson, as they are smaller capacity, and may not be as viable....
At least with High Street shops, you dont get your hands dirty....! and could be cost effective compared to OE replacements.
billbo
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Quote from: petlew
To return to "fill your own" (fyo) since the early days of dot matrix rumors have continued to circulate that the materials used in ink-jet are carcinogenic (together with toner in copiers) Is there any real truth in this or is it something that's perpetuated by big printer companies to discourage fyo? I remember that the service contractor who serviced photocopiers in a office I worked in a while was very very wary about the toner (he used rubber gloves and a face mask)

If the contents of a an ink/toner cartridge were carcinogenic they would have to carry a health warning. The solvents in inks are usually methanol (used in cheap antifreeze) or isopropanol (used in de-icer and tape-head cleaners).The rubber gloves are a good idea just to keep your hand clean (marigolds will do!). Toner is very fine and can easily get into the air and as the particles are very small they can be easily breathed in - hence the filter mask.  Shocked
As with all things sensible basic precautions never hurt!  Wink
petlew
Pro

Hi billbo, I admire your faith in "health warnings" being provided. And entirely agree about "sensible precautions" However, hardly a week goes past without some innocuous product or other being accused of being the sole reason for having NHS cancer research facilities, hairsprays, lipsticks, superglue, most industrial cleaning agents, most pesticides and fertilizers (although some if not all of these may carry a warning of some sort) the list can go on, few of these carry "health warnings" Where warnings are given, it is most often a fire risk. Few manufacturers are going to admit a carcinogenic risk, even if one exists.
As far as the ink risk is concerned (if there is one) I heard repeated only last week by a member of staff in a branch of PC World. Now I realise that the idea any member of PC World staff knowing what they're talking about is minimal (apologies to any PN PCW staff) the fact seems to remain that this particular rumour refuses to lie down. Mind you it beggars the question; what was I doing in PC World anyway!!

Bob_Milton
Grafter

Is this relevant?
YOU MIGHT BE AN ENGINEER IF...
The only jokes you receive are through e-mail
You have ever saved the power cord from a broken appliance
You still own a slide rule and you know how to work it
You know how to take the cover off your computer, and what size screwdriver to use
You have a habit of destroying things in order to see how they work
You can understand anything Al Gore says
The salespeople at PC World can't answer any of your questions
Be3G
Grafter

Quote from: petlew
Just had a memory jog. There used to be available an ink system of exterior large capacity ink tanks connected to and continuously refilled the standard cartridges via small bore flexible pipes. Saw a test of the device in a computer magazine some years ago. Don't think they gave it much of a good review. does anybody know anything about it?

These are called 'continuous ink systems' (abbr. CIS). Some are better than others; some photographers actually use them on expensive A3+ photo-quality printers as they tend to consume quite a bit of ink but only come with small cartridges, and they've reported good results. They're definitely something you need to spend time considering before rushing out to buy one though.
petlew
Pro

Thanks for that, looked a few up, and found Epson is particularly well catered for. A few models of Canon also, sadly neither of mine. I know that my printers won't run with their lids open, and in both cases the print head "parks" partly inside the casing, which would make it difficult to fit the system. maybe that's why.
Anybody interested and not in too much of a hurry, one of the American websites (sorry forgot to copy the address, but google continuous ink systems) is selling systems at ridiculously discounted prices...off the top of my head something like a $299 kit for $88!!...ah! but can you get refills for the systems...don't know.

shutter
Community Veteran

Seems a while since this was originated by newinvention, I wonder if he/she has sorted out the problem.... the rest of the posts, whilst interesting to read, seem to have left the originator behind. ! !... for what it`s worth, I came across a site  a couple of years back, that is run like a forum, I don`t know if it still running, but you could try a google on    fixyourownprinter dot com  or dot co dot uk  can`t remember which one now..... there used to be a gen guy on there who , I think, had a shop in Wales, and knew quite a lot about quite a lot of problems with quite a lot of printers ! ! !.... He would always qualify his answers with a get out clause, like "I give you this advice in good faith, as I am not an official source". ! ! !
shutter
Community Veteran

Grin
Hello New Invention...... Take a trip to www.fixyourownprinter.com and you will see a whole load of info on the blocked jets, and seven flashing orange lights, and how to fix it.   A quick resume is..... remove the printhead, run it under a hot tap until it shows clean water, (keep the electrical contacts dry)  put in a nice warm place overnight, then run the service/printhead  program.... there `s quite a bit of other info there you might find useful too.  Good Luck
Wink Smiley Smiley Smiley
You should find it on Page 3  at the top of the page ! ! !
petlew
Pro

Yes Shutter, you're quite right it has wandered well off topic, probably my fault too. But the post has had a lot of "hits" though...