cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot upgrade to Windows 8.1!

shalom2010
Grafter

Cannot upgrade to Windows 8.1!

I have error 0xc1900101-0x40017 trying to upgrade to 8.1 Pro X64 via Windows store. Unable to find a solution.
Tried uninstalling AMD graphics driver (in case of a conflict), disabled Norton anti virus & firewall & disconnected external drives. Same result.
Luckily MIcrosoft restores your original version (complete as pre upgrade), but I'm a lose what to try. Any ideas?Huh
5 REPLIES 5
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Cannot upgrade to Windows 8.1!

Not an answer to your question, but an observation and warning on the process as I just tried to do that and had to cancel. It did revert OK.
The upgrade process REQUIRES you to log in using a Microsoft Account. Even on a system (like mine) that is set up with just a local account.  Cry
Documentation from Microsoft says that will NOT be mandatory, but it appears to be.
There are a number of suggestions online how to get around it.  Wink
shalom2010
Grafter

Thanks I have an account & was signed in. If anyone can help with this issue I would be grateful having wasted three hours playing the upgrade game Smiley
amcclean
Rising Star

Have a quick check through your device manager 1st for conflicts. If you have ever had lightworks on your pc you will need to remove some files first before the install will progress.
once it's on win 8.1 is better than win 8. worth it. it took me 8 hrs to finally get it installed and working after a few re-starts
podman
shalom2010
Grafter

Thanks podman - no conflicts. I'm considering, in a few days a trying a clean install, maybe do a refresh, upgrade & reinstall programs, long winded, but could resolve the issue. (I do have a backup of my current system)
shalom2010
Grafter

Solved: It was the Steel Series software for my mouse & keyboard, not compatible with 8.1!