cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot remotely access my home server on Plusnet value account

honestsam
Grafter

Cannot remotely access my home server on Plusnet value account

I have a plusnet value account and am trying to access my home modem router/LAN remotely but failing. I have the following setup:

• A dynamic IP and dyndns account set up that my router updates with my IP address at various intervals.
  • My plusnet firewall settings switched off.
  • My Linksys WAG160N router set to accept remote access.

When I am away from my home I cannot access my router at all. I try both the direct IP address and the web address dyndns have assigned to me but neither works. When I am at home both of these work, even when I use a foreign proxy server. I’m not sure of the vaguries of home networking but I know it’s not quite the same when I’m within my LAN and outside.
Can anyone assist? I think it may be a plusnet problem, but wanted to know if anyone else had the same problem. I cannot find anything on the forum.
Many thanks!
24 REPLIES 24
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Cannot remotely access my home server on Plusnet value account

Your broadband firewall is off which is correct so I'm wondering if the router can be configured to accept access requests from particular IP ranges, namely local and external. Have you ever set this up to work before?
honestsam
Grafter

Hi,
Thanks for the reply. I followed this guide:
http://www6.nohold.net/Cisco2/ukp.aspx?pid=80&login=1&app=search&vw=1&articleid=4252&donelr=1
I've not found any information that says my router can exclude external IP addresses, and it's not something I can configure.
I've tried with the Linksys WAG160N and also the Linksys WAG354G. With the previous router I tried turning the SPI firewall on and off and various other steps, but not with the current one as they are similar. Is there any way to check at which point the problem exists?
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

What does a tracert show?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Netgears definitely do this, never used a Linksys to know about those though. Please see my attachment, do you have something similar in your router config?
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have never had any trouble accessing my Linksys routers remotely, I have gone through an AG241, and three different versions of WAG54G.
I wonder if you have some sort of port forwarding going on ?, as I can 'hide' the remote access by setting up a port 80 forward, either to my local webserver (if I want the outside world to see my website), or forward to a local address that does not exist (if I just want to hide the router's web interface).
honestsam
Grafter

Thanks guys, I'll have a look when I'm at home tonight to all your suggestions. In the meantime tracert shows:
Tracing route to 87.112.165.xxx over a maximum of 30 hops
<First few hops removed>
  7    22 ms  105 ms    23 ms  core1-pos0-7-0-2.ilford.ukcore.bt.net [194.74.77.249]
  8    23 ms    23 ms    26 ms  core4te-0-3-1-0.telehouse.ukcore.bt.net [62.172.102.25]
  9    32 ms  179 ms    32 ms  linx-gw2.plus.net [195.66.226.164]
10    26 ms    29 ms  108 ms  te2-2.pte-gw2.plus.net [212.159.1.106]
11  188 ms    44 ms  178 ms  te2-4.pte-gw1.plus.net [212.159.1.101]
12    27 ms    23 ms    23 ms  te2-2.pcl-gw01.plus.net [212.159.0.185]
13    30 ms    32 ms    34 ms  gi11-1-2-431.pcl-ag04.plus.net [84.92.6.241]
14    *        *        *    Request timed out.
15    *        *        *    Request timed out.
What do you think???
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is it worth asking Plusnet to change your account to a static IP address ? - as that would remove one of the variables from this problem !
honestsam
Grafter

Port forwarding is definitely not set up as I was mucking around with my torrent server the other day.
I 've got a plusnet value account so I can't get a static address!
Thanks for your suggestions tho!  Smiley
honestsam
Grafter

In case it wasn't clear from my previous post: I've tried with 2 linksys routers and I could not gain access with either.
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Your tracert looks fine as we'd expect pings to be dropped on the last hop. Have you accessed either of these routers from external IP addresses before?
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can you clarify what it it that you are trying to achieve, as this thread can be read in at least two different ways.
Are you -
1)  Trying to remotely manage just your router ?, and if so why would you want to do so as most people set up their routers and rarely if ever need to change the settings - except when the broadband is down (which would not be possible remotely).
2)  Are you trying to set up internet services (e.g. webserver, smtp, pop3,) on your local LAN for them to be accessible from the internet ? - in which case once the router port forwarding is set, then the router should not need to be remotely accessible ?
honestsam
Grafter

I'm trying to access services within my LAN - ie Remote desktop, Web server etc etc.
I've never been able to get past my router however so I'm testing by trying to access my router settings as a first step.
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Ah, then you definitely need some port forwarding set up.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Why? His approach of testing access to the router first looks a perfectly reasonable way of going about things. If he can't reach the router to start with, what is port forwarding going to achieve?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)