Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot install Vista SP1

penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Cannot install Vista SP1

I have a new HP laptop, bought a couple of days ago,a pavilion dv6000.  It was bought brand new, and I assumed would have SP1 installed. It appears it dosnt, so last night I went onto Windows Update with it, and found 33 updates. Installed the lot, all OK, but still no Vista SP1 available for download. Looked at the driver issues, and I dont appear to have any of the listed drivers, but unsure of how to tell exactly from Windows Update, and Windows Update now says I have no updates available.  SP1 is not shown on the welcome screen thingie.  Not much used to vista, can anyone help.  Otherwise the system works fine, after I have uninstalled all the trash, and set startup to a respectable 8 items, rather then the 45 that were there!!!!!, and also uninstalled the Norton trial.  Why are new retail PCs loaded with so much garbage, there was a Sims trial on it, that took up 3Gb of space!!!  Anyway I digress, anyone any ideas?Huh
6 REPLIES 6
Njal
Grafter

Re: Cannot install Vista SP1

There's some stuff here:
http://www.msfn.org/comments.php?shownews=22154
"When you try to install Windows Vista SP1 via Windows Update you can get error: Windows Vista Service Pack 1 is not available for installation from Windows Update and is not offered by Automatic Updates.
To help ensure a positive update experience, Windows Update will temporarily not offer Windows Vista SP1 to systems that have the following device drivers. In some cases, these device drivers are problematic on Windows Vista-based computers when you update to Windows Vista SP1. By installing updated device drivers, you will resolve the issue and enable Windows Update to offer Windows Vista SP1."
http://www.labnol.org/software/tutorials/problem-cannot-install-windows-vista-sp1/2621/
No personal experience as I'm a Luddite running XP.
Regards,
Neil
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

you are not alone
This may help linky
Mal08
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

You can download the whole pack at the link below - which bypasses Windows Update - and yes - before anyone screws - you need to be careful as there are some driver issues as reported widely and on MS's site.
But I was informed that HP pavilion dv6000 would be OK ( and that was three months ago therabouts ) .  We did the total system backup. and then tried the Vista SP1 pack - and it worked a treat - no issues at all and then did further windows updates - and there have been 0zero problems.
So perhaps wait a while longer - see if there are any problems reported here for a day or so.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=b0c7136d-5ebb-413b-89c9-cb3d06d12674&Displa...
http://tiny.cc/HIT9l
penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Finally got it sorted.  HP website had no updated drivers, for the conexant sound card, in fact they were earler drivers than the one installed, but after a bit of searching, found somthing else, that said there is an HP Update app on the lappy.  Used this , and it found 2 critical updates from HP, installed these, and then Windows update offered SP1, which installed fine.  Cant understand though why HP havnt sorted this, and supply SP1 out of the box, as most other manufacterers do.
Mal08
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Quote from: penfold
Cant understand though why HP haven't sorted this, and supply SP1 out of the box, as most other manufacterers do.

maybe just old stock ?
davidj66
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Bought an ACER laptop in early July : - some of the drivers etc were relatively ancient - loads of updates downloaded when I connected to the web for the first time - as Mal08 said, I assumed "old stock", even tho' I had specified sme extra options.
As an aside - the ACER came with loads of junk pre installed and trial versions of Norton and M/S Office ready to run. Still haven't got rid of all the junk!!