Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot download Windows 8.1 - at the first attempt

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Cannot download Windows 8.1 - at the first attempt

Okay, my computer dual-boots between Windows 7 and Windows 8.  I don't like Windows 8 so rarely use it but I want to give Windows 8.1 a try.  I'm not on unlimited so I started the download of 8.1 just after midnight.  And the computer spent the whole night saying "Downloading 0% complete and my recorded overnight usage was less than 0.5GB.  I did manage to download and install a few things around midnight so my Internet connection was up.  Now I have restarted in Windows 7 (because I don't want the download to kick-in during the daytime).  I tested my download speed at the BT Wholesale site and got the 7.9 Mbps that is normal for my line.  So everything points to Microsoft.  Anybody else had this problem or can think of a reason for it?  
5 REPLIES 5
JamesM
Grafter

Re: Cannot download Windows 8.1!

I am having the same problem mate, I have put Win 8 on my Nieces laptop after a format, and I left the windows downloads running for 4 hours, when I came back it was still on 0%. I unchecked all the updates and just left the Intel management interface, and the GFX driver. The GFX driver downloaded but the intel management failed. My gut feeling is that it has something to do with signing in to windows, when it first starts.
My first password I chose when installing Win 8 on my machine signed me into windows and the network, so my Hotmail was always signed in, and when I went to games it automatically signed me into the all X Box stuff. (I didn't like this so I went into settings and changed my settings to a standalone machine). When I installed Win 8 on my Nieces laptop, it wasn't connected online, so it never asked me for a password so I am thinking this is the reason why it wont download. The laptop is running very very slow after a HDD fail so opening a program can result in a 5 minute wait so I can't test my theory at the moment.  I am probably way off the mark but as I say it is just a gut feeling.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Well I do log in to Windows 8 using my Microsoft account credentials but it isn't helping me.
By the way, judging by what I read on another thread, I presume your niece's computer is running slowly because the hard drive is faulty and should be replaced.
JamesM
Grafter

I can get rid of my gut feeling now  8), I am going to get my Nieces laptop back now she has my old computer and have a mess around with it, so I will let you know if I find out anything as to why it isn't registering with the updates. I do recall seeing another thread about a week or so ago about something to do with windows updates, but I can't find it.
One thing I found out with Win 7 64, is that the built in firewall on my Belkin router causes 90% of the windows updates to fail unless I turn it off.
Once I get the laptop back I will take your advice and run a few more scans.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Modern hard drives have a failure mode where sections of the hard drive become extremely difficult to read, but not necessarily impossible.  The effect is to slow your computer to a standstill, something akin to swimming through treacle.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Second overnight attempt and this time it succeeded.  3.01 GBytes of overnight usage and I have no idea how many restarts there might have been as I was safely tucked-up in bed.  I can only presume that if Microsoft is not quite ready to do the installation then it does not initiate the download, despite what it says.  I now have a desktop button that I can right-click to get a few sensible options instead of having to go all around the houses but the look of the desktop remains that of the "Starter" edition of Windows 7.