Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot delete files

shermans
Pro
Fixes: 3

Cannot delete files

I have a problem.  I copied a large folder (2 Gb) from an external hard disk  to my internal hard disk.  However, I cannot do anything with the files at all.  I can open them but I cannot edit them or save them.  I cannot delete them either.

This is Windows 10.  I have tried every trick in the book and all I get is "Access is denied" messages. Permissions for 'Everyone' are already allowed but greyed out.  I have therefore disabled 'Inheritance' but when I try to apply the settings, again I get "Access denied".

I tried Unlocker.exe 1.9.2 programme but that also did not help.  So I am stuck with 2 Gb of folder with which I can do nothing and cannot even delete.

I would be grateful if anyone had any suggestions as to how to resolve this.  One other thing is that it appears to be computer specific.  Having also loaded the same folder and files onto my laptop from the same hard disk, there is no problem there at all.

Thanks.

8 REPLIES 8
vultura
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Cannot delete files

Any use? - https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/2623670/access-denied-or-other-errors-when-you-access-or-wo...

Have you tried running a disk check on your internal drive?

https://windowsinstructed.com/run-chkdsk-windows/

Has anyone seen my signature, it's gone missing.
idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

Sounds more like an ownership problem. Been there. I'd imagine you've tried most things already. I haven't got my W10 up and running but in Win 8 it's a right click on the folder, properties and then security. I used to have to actually head off to the 'Advance' section and then input my username to get full control. I suspect you've been there already though.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
shermans
Pro

Thank you to both responses.  I have tried Vulturas suggestions but they make no difference.  Idonno's comment is likely to be correct.

However, I have got a stage further.  I managed to delete the files and re-load, ore by luck than judgement though !  Whilst it solves the problem in the short term, I would like to understand what is going on.

My solution was to access the folder which I had copied onto the hard drive by using the drive letter instead of the previous shortcut.  I have several devices - laptops, desktops, printers, tablets, mobile phones, Kindles etc. - all of which I name by characters from the Muppets like "Kermit", "Miss Piggy", "Gonzo" etc. I will leave you to guess the name of my network Group !

"Swedish Chef" is the name of this particular desktop computer.  To get to the folder in question, the default shortcut generated by the system was as follows :

"Swedish Chef   >  Data (D) >  Personal  >  Folder Name  >  Anyfile.docx"    etc. 

This is the link which caused the problems by not allowing access to modify or delete.  Everything was read-only which I could not change.  The result, no matter what I tried to do, including changing ownership, was always "Access Denied".

I then realised that on this computer I had two drives - one for the system (C) and one (D) for data.  So instead of using the shortcut, used : 

"D:\Personal\Folder Name\Anyfile.docx"

This is how I managed to delete the problematic files and re-load them from the external hard disk.  There are now no access issues any more.

Does anyone have any explanation for this ?

Furthermore, can anyone tell me how to copy files to the external hard disk without them being automatically allocated the "Read-Only" attribute on the external hard disk under "Properties" ?  I would be grateful for advice on that also, because at present,  am having to change the attributes manually on the external hard disk.

Many thanks.

idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

How / what are you using to do the file transfers?

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
daveplus
Pro
Fixes: 10

@idonno

Exactly what I was going to ask

Thanks

shermans
Pro

I am just using Copy and Paste
daveplus
Pro
Fixes: 10

For 2GB?

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

It ought to work OK.

I copied and pasted 5.5GB of video files this afternoon between two hard disks - the progress report said it was doing it at 80MB/sec.

I was using a Linux Desktop machine, though. Windows ought to achieve similar speeds though.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."