cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot connect to internet = Help please..!!!

chris301up
Dabbler

Cannot connect to internet = Help please..!!!

I have recently had a replacement router from Plusnet which replaced the old Thompson router but cannot connect to the internet with my old laptop and desktop PC
Anyone had similar issues and know what to do to sort this problem?
  Angry
19 REPLIES 19
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Cannot connect to internet = Help please..!!!

basic questions - are all the lights on the router showing green and are you trying wired or wireless
next step - can you access the router from the PC and, if so, can you check that the login credentials are correct - username@plusdsl.net and your account password
chris301up
Dabbler

The only light on the router is a long blue light across the front and yes I can access the router from my Wife's laptop if I type 192.168.1.254 into Google. Is that what you mean?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

it is
I haven't got a new Hub  One to check but can you watch this video which eventually takes you through the various checks http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/hardware/hub-one-setup.shtml
You need to see what the broadband light is doing - it should be below the blue light
chris301up
Dabbler

My new router is a Hub One but I'm now lead to believe that this won't connect to the older WEP cards, as installed in my PC's and Laptop?
I think I'm going to return this and see if I can get another Thompson Router. I know my devices work with that.
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

You can switch the Hub 1 to WEP, its under advanced settings - wireless.
chris301up
Dabbler

It won't allow me to change to WEP only WPA
Any ideas
Mustrum
Community Veteran

You may need to separate the 2.4 and 5Hhz channels, add 5 to the end of the 5Ghz SSID. However even this may not work with the latest software on the hub.
chris301up
Dabbler

I'm not really getting anywhere with this at the moment.
Just a thought ! What about if I connect the old router to another one of my telephone sockets and then switch this on when I need to use my older devices?
Mustrum
Community Veteran

You can't have two routers on the same broadband circuit.
You could switch off the wireless security, but that is not recommended, but it depends on where you live, less of a risk if you are out in the country.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

What about if I connect the old router to another one of my telephone sockets and then switch this on when I need to use my older devices?
As Mustrun says, that won't work.
But what you can do is configure the old Thompson router as a Wireless access point.
You need to Disable DHCP on it , change it's IP address to 192.168.1.252 and then connect one of it's LAN ports, using an ethernet cable, to a LAN port on the Hub One. You can then just turn it on when you need it and turn it off without diconnecting anything when you don't.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

chris301up
Dabbler

Thanks for the information
I cannot really use an Ethernet cable unless it's about 50 feet long as Hub One is downstairs and I use my older devices upstairs and in the garage.
I was just thinking that maybe I can connect the two routers and switch alternately between them as and when I need to use my other devices. Why wouldn't that work? There would only be one router working at any given point in time.
I could, of course, purchase replacement compatible wireless cards for each of my devices, but that's going to cost a small fortune.
Why do manufacturers always change things that were working perfectly fine?
  Sad
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

So where was the old router before?
Whilst switching routers will work it will likely wreck your speed since the exchange will see the disconnections as an unstable line and reduce the speed ton try and stabilise it.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

chris301up
Dabbler

The Thompson router was in the same place is Hub One is now, next to the TV and the main phone line in,
But that didn't matter before as all devices worked absolutely fine wirelessly whether upstairs, downstairs, in the garden or garage.
It's only now I have a problem with the new router.
I will either have to go back to the old router or invest in numerous replacement wireless cards !
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

So you don't need a long Ethernet cable , just connect the old router as a wireless access point using a short cable. Might be useful turning the wireless off on the hub one so it doesn't innterfere with the wireless on the old router.