Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot connect to Internet on own D-Link router

FIXED
GravyGranule
Hooked

Cannot connect to Internet on own D-Link router

I'm just trying to replace the default Plusnet router I have with a D-Link DIR-878 but I cannot seem to connect to the Internet after configuration. I've added the details in as per the images attached (some of the sensitive stuff has been asterisked out).

Any ideas on how I could go about connecting?

10 REPLIES 10
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

Re: Cannot connect to Internet on own D-Link router

@GravyGranule 

The settings required for PlusNet can be found here

https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/broadband-connection-settings/

Brian

GravyGranule
Hooked

Yes these are the ones I am using from the fiber section (with my details edited in)

myusername@plusdsl.net

My member center password

PPPoE Always On

After entering this though there is still no Internet. I have a cable running from the Internet port on my router to master socket which is a fiber SSFP one if it helps. No Internet light on the router either.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

You don't show the VLAN tab from your first pic, is that set to 101?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

Fix

@GravyGranule   The standard PlusNet supplied one is a combined modem/router. The DIR-878 is only a router, you will need a separate modem to use with that OR replace it with an alternative combined modem/router.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

GravyGranule
Hooked

Ah brilliant thanks for the info that makes sense. I wonder is it is possible to use the old PN router as a modem for the new one or is it just a case buying a new modem entirely?
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

Its not possible to use the PN router as a modem only. You could use it as a modem/router and configure the DIR_878 just as a wireless access point.

or (assuming you're on Fibre) get a used Openreach HG612 fibre modem from ebay and just connect that to the telephone line and your DIR-878 directly to that

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

GravyGranule
Hooked

Just an update on this. I purchased the HG612 and connected everything up. I have the DSL green light on the modem and entered my credentials again on the router but no internet still.

Checking the router log shows CHAP authentication failed. This is with my user@plusdsl.net and member centre password with PPPoE Always On set.

Any idea what might be wrong?
GravyGranule
Hooked

Bit of a longshot but I've noticed if I login to the member centre with my username/password it always says wrong login details the first time, tapping enter again without changing any of my credentials then logs me in the second time with the exact same username/password.
GravyGranule
Hooked

Okay, all seems to be working now. It looks like resetting the member centre password on my account did the trick.

Appreciate all the help!
jing
Hooked