cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you open ports on the Plusnet TG585v7?

Agent47
Grafter

Can you open ports on the Plusnet TG585v7?

My old D-link router has stated to show its age, so I retired it and got a replacement  offered by Plusnet -the TG585v7. It does almost all the things my old router did, but faster and more securely. Great, you might say, but for one thing: I cannot open any ports on any machine connected to the TG585v7 which worked fine on my D-link.
No matter what rules I set up on the Game or Application Definition screen the TG585v7 seems to ignore it, because when I check them with PFPortChecker, they are all still shut.
I've raised a ticket about it but they ordered me to to take it up with Thomson. Yeah, like you would got to Currys with a Sony Viao and ask them why the USB ports don't work, only for them to tell you to take it up with Sony. Grump over.
So, has anybody else suffered the same predicament with Plusnet's TG585v7?
5 REPLIES 5
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Can you open ports on the Plusnet TG585v7?

In the manual have a look at Section 6 - setting up a custom security level in the firewall it may be possible to do what you want
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

You might find this post useful http://www.leenukes.co.uk/?p=71
It has some ideas on possible problems and also gives a link to the CLI manual. If all else fails then from the CLI ( via telnet ) you should be able to use the 'service' command to add applications and open ports.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Thanks for the link - why on earth is it only the Netherlands site which has all the documentation
Agent47
Grafter

Quote from: Oldjim
In the manual have a look at Section 6 - setting up a custom security level in the firewall it may be possible to do what you want

I switched the router firewall off, to no effect. then switched it back on; you can't be too careful.
Agent47
Grafter

I downloaded TG585-v7_CLI_guide_R74 manual ( I can't remember from where, sorry  Embarrassed , but I'm sure if you google it it'll turn-up) and I have been wondering when I'll have to get my hands dirty with telnet. I've never had to use it. Thank you Plusnet  >:(.
Tried the telent command: service system ifdelete name=HTTP group=wan and got an error message telling me it could not find what I wanted to change, so I didn't use the saveall command, then quite telnet.
I'm sure I had tried the ports with Comodo, my software firewall, switched off, with no success. So had left it alone till now; I looked at the Network Monitor in the security option and found no UDP/TCP settings for the ports I wanted open on the new IP addresses of the TG585v7 network (just found the old IP addresses D-link router). Adding the UDP/TCP ports to the new IP addresses seems to have done the trick, all the ports I want  "are open and ready for firing, Captain" Smiley
Thank you all on this forum for the help Smiley