cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you get brand new wiring?

Sunzz
Grafter

Can you get brand new wiring?

Hi everyone Smiley so iv posted in the other forums about having slow upload speed https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Lower-then-estimated-upload-speed/td-p/1375550

basically a year or 2 my upload speed dropped to around 6 mb max, yet at one point i was getting 14 mb easily, this was when i had bt infinity, bt had no clue why and basically just said upload is important to them etc so i just got on with it, even though it would be so beneficial for me to have better upload speed, for uploading videos and game streaming.

Anyways long story long .. lol, is there any way to get brand new wires for the master socket done by BT? i remember watching the guy install my bt infinity and the wiring looked like 100 years old, and im curious if this is the cause, can they like feed fresh wires up or something? i changed to plusnet fibre yesterday hoping the switch would fix the upload problem but sadly not Sad

10 REPLIES 10
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Re: Can you get brand new wiring?

Not an expert...... but.....

If you were getting 14 Mb on the old wire,  with Bt infinity, then why would replacing it with "new wire"  make your present speed any better  ? ? ? ? 

Sunzz
Grafter

no no no Tongue i had 14 mb on it at the start a few years back but it didnt last long, then for the last few years its been stuck at 6 mb max, on bt and now also on plusnet.

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

I doubt BT would change your cable for a new one unless there was some kind of fault .

You can ask for them to replace it yourself but i wouldnt be surprised if you get a shock at the charges you would be given .

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Sunzz
Grafter

Yeh I assumed the price would be expensive, can't be easy putting new cables through etc. I wonder if slow upload is a fault though? My download, ping, packet loss etc is fine, no noise on the line and upload profile is 20 mb so I don't understand it
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

have you tried reporting a fault at PN ?

https://portal.plus.net/apps/kbdfaults

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

You would have to run a decent cable all the way back to the exchange. Cheesy

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Sunzz
Grafter

yeh thats not going to happen lol, i meant the cables from the master socket to the cabinet, what if they are damaged etc?

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

What if they were damaged a bit more by "an Act of God"?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Sunzz
Grafter

what? im curious to know if its possible to get new wiring from the cabinet to the master socket, and if so what the price would be lol. i dont understand what ur trying to say exactly

twocvbloke
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 3

The only way to get a new dropwire would be in the event of the cable being damaged by a fallen tree, someone crashing their car into the telegraph pole, or someone nicking the cable as part of a spate of copper theft in the area, otherwise, it's a case of SOOL unless a fault is found on the wiring... Undecided

Assuming of course it's overhead wiring, if it's underground, then they're going to be extremely reluctant (but fully willing to charge a few hundred quid) to pull a new cable through just for a few missing Megabits...