cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't watch anything anymore

Tsonga
Grafter

Re: Can't watch anything anymore

So I spent part of the weekend trying to sort out the problem. Followed the right course of action as recommended by ReedRichards, i.e. fresh XP install, correct device drivers, SP2. Installed the latest Flash Player on IE. Had nothing else whatsoever on the computer. But still no luck!
I checked out many forums as this appears to be a fairly widespread problem. Some people seem to think that reverting back to Flash9 helped, but it did not help in my case. Most people are stumped. I then found this: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r19816584-CPU-at-100-when-using-streaming-window. Nobody seems to know the cause but someone found a nice little piece of software called Process Lasso, which helps balance CPU usage across a system. I tried it and it certainly helps, although it is fairly complex so I am not certain I configured it properly. The improvement for me is fairly limited.
I think that the most likely explanation is that my graphics card, while not being inadequate as such, has now deteriorated and would need to be replaced for the particular process of streaming videos.
In the meantime, a vertical dotted line has appeared across my  laptop screen. It shows even before Windows starts booting. It does not show when I connect my laptop to my desktop screen. So it looks like my LCD screen is giving up the ghost too.
Not great news for me, but we've had a good five years of use out of it, and it is still useable for other things at the moment... It may be time to start thinking about a new purchase...
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Does your computer work on iPlayer downloads?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Tsonga
Grafter

Hi Crucibleofevil
Downloads are not any better on the BBCIPlayer Desktop, with both IE and Firefox closed down.
DVDs and clips in .avi format still do well, though.
VileReynard
Hero

Aren't iPlayer files in .mov format???
You would need Quicktime to play these. http://www.apple.com/quicktime/
I honestly think that it's Windows that's causing your problems by not installing codecs as required.

Santiago
Grafter

I agree, might be the time to wipe the drive and install Ubuntu.
Tsonga
Grafter

Well, why not, sounds like the ideal time to try something new! The laptop is empty.  Smiley
Is it Ubuntu Desktop Edition 9.04?
The only sad thing is that even Linux won't repair my screen!  Cry
Santiago
Grafter

Yes, Ubuntu 9.04 is current.
Sadly when screens start to go it can be expensive. Sometimes though the display problems are caused by the failing of the screen cable which is fed up to the screen through the hinges.  I would install the Ubuntu and see what happens first.
If you need help post back. One of the community penguins will be able to assist.
VileReynard
Hero

Quote from: BlueRhizome
Well, why not, sounds like the ideal time to try something new! The laptop is empty.  Smiley
Is it Ubuntu Desktop Edition 9.04?
The only sad thing is that even Linux won't repair my screen!  Cry

Yes - give it a try - you don't even have to install it - you can get it to run (slowly) directly from CD.

Tsonga
Grafter

Excellent, thanks! I shall download it during the night as I am getting low on GBs for this month, burn it onto a cd and see what I can do from there. Looking at the website, it looks much more user friendly than when I tried Red Hat 10/12 years ago! I now remember that I actually even partitioned my hard drive and got it to work, but the lack of compatible software in those days put me off... Having said that, I know I'll be back soon asking for help with Ubuntu!
Cool
Tsonga
Grafter

I'm on Ubuntu 9.04 right now, but no better luck with streaming YouTube. I did download a lot of updates just after I installed the new OS. Do you think it's worth starting all over again without any updates, just what is already there by default, and downloading Flash10? Or is it just clearly not going to work?
VileReynard
Hero

Almost certainly not.
If Ubuntu wants an add-on or codec, it should offer to install it for you.
In Firefox, select Tools, Addons and under plugins you will hopefully see (some of) what I have loaded (see attachment).
I'm running Ubuntu 9.04 (a 64 bit version) but should be identical otherwise.
BTW You shouldn't/don't install things by downloading.
See System, Administration, Synaptic Package Manager.
This gives you about 20,000 packages you could install - use the "Search icon" to select what you want.

Tsonga
Grafter

Thanks, the only thing I don't have is Helix and Iced Tea Java. The rest is identical. Are these indispensable?
VileReynard
Hero

The icedtea thing allows you to run java applets, so it's needed in general.
However, it seems that Helix is pretty important.
So use Synaptic to install both Helix packages.
(If you have difficulties using it, post here!)

Tsonga
Grafter

My Add-ons page looks identical to yours now. Streaming is slightly improved but there are still peaks at 100% on both CPU1 and CPU2 (not sure why there are two) where the picture sticks, although it recovers eventually. Not a smooth experience though. Is there anything that I can tweak or am I defeated?
VileReynard
Hero

Well - it looks like you get access to You Tube - a bit anyway.
Which sounds like screen related problems are ruled out.
For iPlayer Smiley you can download - indeed the downloads are free of the 7 day time limit and of a higher quality than flash Smiley
Read http://linuxcentre.net/getiplayer/installation/ for the packages you need to have installed.
Use the aptitude thing to load them, as before.
To install iPlayer as a user program, from Applications, Accessories, Terminal:-
wget http://linuxcentre.net/get_iplayer/get_iplayer
chmod 755 get_iplayer

(This downloads the iPlayer into your home directory).
You may prefer to use the "Linux deb Package (Ubuntu/Debian)" method - but this probably more complicated at this stage.
To run it from the terminal,

I suggest you enter
./get_iplayer -h > get_iplayer.readme
This will give you a file you can view to see a summary of the numerous parameters.
Assuming you have found the file browser (Nautilus or Dolphin), double-click on get_iplayer.readme to view.
To download a program, enter into the Terminal
 something like 
./get_iplayer -l "News"

This will list a load of numbers and titles.
To Download
./get_iplayer -g 99999
where 9999 is your chosen program.
A lot more sophisticated options are available....
This works best with the BBC - but downloads can be 100-200MBytes.
To stop at any point, use CTRL-C.