cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't upload a .zip file

MikeJ86

Can't upload a .zip file

I work with a particular CMS that requires me to upload a ZIP file full of images under 16MB in size, but I've been unable to do this and was wondering if anyone had ideas as to why.
I've tried to upload the file on Chrome, Firefox and Internet Explorer, all of which are up-to-date and with various extensions/add-ons disabled. I've also disabled my anti-virus, and tried the process on two different computers.
I've sent the files to colleagues, and they've had no trouble uploading - they've also sent me files they've been able to upload, and they don't work for me.
I've emailed Plusnet about this and the support staff have essentially got no idea what's going on, especially because I've already done most of the support tests they were going to recommend.
The one constant in this is Plusnet and my Plusnet router.
I was wondering if anyone had any other ideas?
Thanks!
11 REPLIES 11
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Can't upload a .zip file

A quick question - how did you send the file to colleagues - by internet or not
Have you tried disabling the router firewall
When you attempt to upload the files is this via an ftp protocol or some other method
MikeJ86

Hey - sorry for taking so long to come back on this.
I send the file to colleagues over email and via Dropbox link, and they've had no problems uploading any of these on their own systems.
I tried disabling the router firewall and it's made no difference.
I attempt to upload the files directly through the CMS, in Firefox, which is what I've been told use - but it doesn't work in other browsers either.
Thanks...
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Do the files upload to /tmp before being moved to their intended folder? Just wondering if the problem is temporary space related?
Are you able to upload much smaller .zip files?
David
TORPC
Grafter

Does it work via the desktop app, with auto sync ?Huh
MikeJ86

Hey,
Thanks for the replies; I've tried .zip files of various sizes and none work. This particular CMS says they need to be under 16MB and they've all been a long way under that.
Where would I find the relevant /tmp folder?
And TORPC what do you mean about the desktop app with auto sync?
Thanks!
Mike
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

have you tried a .rar file or won't they accept them
TORPC
Grafter

You mentioned that,
Quote from: MikeJ86
I send the file to colleagues over email and via Dropbox link, and they've had no problems uploading any of these on their own systems.

Have you tried using the Dropbox desktop app, with auto sync enabled ?Huh
You also mention "This particular CMS says they need to be under 16MB"
Have that particular CMS had an update ?Huh
Are you able to name the CMS
MikeJ86

Quote from: Oldjim
have you tried a .rar file or won't they accept them

I've been told that the CMS specifically works with .zip files, so I haven't tried .rar.
Quote from: TORPC
You mentioned that,

Have you tried using the Dropbox desktop app, with auto sync enabled ?Huh
You also mention "This particular CMS says they need to be under 16MB"
Have that particular CMS had an update ?Huh
Are you able to name the CMS

I use the regular Dropbox app, but that's only to send the .zip files to colleagues so they can successfully uploaded - Dropbox plays no formal part in the CMS.
I'll find out the name of the CMS. It hasn't had any updates.
Thanks!
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

It's not all clear (at least to me) about
I've sent the files to colleagues, and they've had no trouble uploading - they've also sent me files they've been able to upload, and they don't work for me.

Do you mean that files you've prepared can be uploaded to the same CMS by your colleagues and that files they've prepared and successfully uploaded to the same CMS don't work for you or are your colleagues uploading to a different system?
What error messages are displayed when you try to upload?  Is Java involved in the upload function?  If so, are you running the latest version/same version as your colleagues?
Who manages the CMS?  Perhaps there's a permissions issue?  Can your colleagues upload files using your login details?  Can you upload files using theirs?

TORPC
Grafter

I would also like to ask
Are you uploading, using the CMS client, or are you using it via a Browser
If the latter, then are you using the same Updated / Browser version(s) as your colleagues
[quote= http://www.halogy.com/forums/viewtopic/24]We do get a few reports back that the ZIP functionality doesn't work in some peoples browsers.

Could it be cross platform / OS isuue(s) IE: your using windows ??, your colleagues using Macs or Linux
MikeJ86

Sorry the confusion!
I've been referring to the same files: I'll create the .zip file, and it'll fail on my machine, but my colleagues can upload it after I've shared it to them over email or Dropbox. They haven't given me any of their .zip files to try.
No error message is displayed. I click the "upload" button, it works for a little while, and then the page just goes back to where it was before - so in the pre-upload state.
I'll check Java.
I've been given access to the CMS but I'll mention the permissions issue to my editor.
Thanks!
Quote from: pwatson
It's not all clear (at least to me) about

Do you mean that files you've prepared can be uploaded to the same CMS by your colleagues and that files they've prepared and successfully uploaded to the same CMS don't work for you or are your colleagues uploading to a different system?
What error messages are displayed when you try to upload?  Is Java involved in the upload function?  If so, are you running the latest version/same version as your colleagues?
Who manages the CMS?  Perhaps there's a permissions issue?  Can your colleagues upload files using your login details?  Can you upload files using theirs?