Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't open website?

petlew
Pro
Fixes: 2

Can't open website?

I have a couple of website icons on my desktop for those I access regularly: i.e online banking, Netgear router access etc. However when clicked, I get an error message: Windows cannot open; followed by the web address, after a few seconds the required website opens normally. My default browser is Firefox. Anyone know about this odd behavior?
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
2 REPLIES 2
samuria
Grafter

Re: Can't open website?

Try recreating a shortcut and see if its ok. Have you changed the default browser? It sounds as if it a timing issue that it try to open it and it times out so it thinks it not there but it then comes back
petlew
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Can't open website?

Thanks samuria, As I read your post, the penny dropped. Of course the answer is that when I set the icons I was using IE, which they are looking for, but then default to the current default browser (Firefox) hence the error message, followed by the correct opening. Deleting the old icons and setting new one's cured the problem. Should have realised it m'self, but many thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.