Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't make a wireless connection between Macbook and Voyager 2110

chaswick
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Can't make a wireless connection between Macbook and Voyager 2110

I have just taken delivery of a BT Voyager 2110 and I have successfully connected it via ethernet to my PC, and it is also working via wireless on an old laptop equipped with a wireless card. Although it works fine via ethernet on my daughter's Macbook, we cannot get a wireless connection. I have wasted £'s on 0870 number calls to BT, Plusnet and Apple technical support numbers trying to sort this out, but with no success. At one stage, when we were first trying, we actually got a wireless connection on the Macbook and thought all was working OK, but when the Macbook was shut down briefly it didn't reconnect when booted up.
I've done all sorts of things, such as trying all the different channels on the Voyager. Could it be a faulty Airport card in the Mac, or am I missing something obvious? I can't see why it doesn't work  as (a) the Macbook connects to the internet with no problems via ethernet and (b) my laptop connects fine via wireless. Any helpful suggestions would be gratefully received before I spend more £'s on 0870 calls to foreign parts!
3 REPLIES 3
acr
Rising Star

Re: Can't make a wireless connection between Macbook and Voyager 2110

Which version of Mac OSX is the Macbook running?
Can the Macbook 'see' the network that you have created on your router?
samuria
Grafter

have you got any encryption on? If so take it off and try again.
What standard is the wireless connection set to on the router and the MAC?
If its set to a ie 802.11g some old network cards cant use the new high speed so try on the router setting it to 802.11 as this is the most compatable speed.Check on the MAC as to what version are available and set the router to that version.
chaswick
Rising Star

Many thanks for your replies. The good news is that the Macbook appears to be connecting O.K now, but the puzzle is why?! This evening we went round in circles with the set-up, sometimes putting in the router's password and sometimes not... and then it suddenly worked, without the password.
All the time it had been "seeing"  the router. After shutting down 3 or 4 times it is still working, but I fail to see why it didn't work before. It is almost as if it has "learnt" to connect.
In answer to your questions, it is a new Macbook loaded with OS X 10.5. I had already tried turning encryption off.
I would be interested to know whether anyone else has experienced such a problem with Macbook and Netgear. Let's hope it is now resolved for us!