cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't install Plusnet Assist

PeteH

Can't install Plusnet Assist

I had problems installing Plusnet Assist  as I don't think it completely installed. I uninstalled the program and then downloaded it again and tried to install it, only to be told that the installation failed as it is already installed. I have checked in Windows Explorer and there doesn't appear to be any trace of it anywhere, I've run a registry cleaner and hopefully removed all trace of it  and yet it still won't install - any ideas? Angry
7 REPLIES 7
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: Can't install Plusnet Assist

Which version of windows?
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
buseng12
Grafter

Doesn't work with Windows 8 although it has been on public release since last October. Likewise the router firmware upgrade tool only works in compatibility mode with Windows 8.
Plusnet Protect (McAfee) works ok with Windows 8 on my system though. Although people say otherwise.
PeteH

Sorry for omission, I'm using Windows 7 (Pro)
PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

@peteH I wouldn't do that if I were you  Roll_eyes
Assist is OK for very basic users. The problem I found when I tried it was it tended only to recognise basic settings for outlook etc and would report a fault and change it for you when you had configured something else.
In my case I work away from home and Assist "helpfully" changed the settings for my wife and made outlook unusable. It had to wait till I got home to fix it.  Undecided
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

When I trialled it on Windows 7 64 bit - before release - among other comments I made were
Window 7 64 bit
Tried uninstalling from Control Panel - didn't work as it is the wrong executable
Uninstalled from the start menu worked and all the addons seem to have gone.
The Motive folder has gone but the Plusnet Assist hasn't gone but is empty - see picture
Note that it claimed a reboot was needed

I see that this application has created a directory C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Motive and added an unknown plugin to Firefox
    File: npMotive.dll
    Version: 1.0.0.23
    Motive Plugin for Mozilla Browsers
application/x-motive-scriptable-plugin    Motive Plugin for Mozilla Browsers Version 1.0
Like to explain what this is and why it installed the plugin without asking
And what is all this rubbish it has added to Internet Explorer - see pic
PeteH

Is it safe to remove the Motive folder & its contents, and also disable the Motive add on in Firefox?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

yes