cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't get laptop to connect wireless

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Re: Can't get laptop to connect wireless

I have to say in all fairness, I am using Vista Home Premium edition with a Belkin f5d7633 modem/router and have had absolutely no problems at all. I'm using WPA-PSK keyed encryption and it's never dropped out at all - even the works' IBM stinkpad running XP Pro VPN tunneling into the work network works like a dream.
Redbaron, looking at that link you gave with regards the hotfix from MS, it seems it's dealing with Vista systems that are using AES (Advanced Encryption System) not PSK (personal shared key).
I think what might be a good solution to start with is to uninstall the drivers for the wireless card via the control panel and reboot, letting the machine find the card and  reinstall it.
Although I wouldn't recommend this to a novice user, I find that going through the registry after a uninstall and removing all the references to the device works wonders, although in your case poppy, I don't think this would work.
What model laptop is it? and have you tried updating the drivers from the manufacturers support site - I found that when I bought this compaq (Presario C500 series) quite a few of the drivers had already been updated!!!
If you don't know where to find the drivers for it, shout up, I'll help you if I can.
I'd also try changing the encryption to WPA-PSK if you can to see if that makes any difference.
Roger.
Highlighted

Roger - I hear what you say about M$ claiming that this is a problem with AES, whilst not explicitly saying that it is a problem with WPA-PSK. The evidence I have seen, both with my own installation, and with a reasonably comprehensive trawl of other forums, does not bear this out.
In essence, a great many people have found that their routers, which work perfectly well with WPA-PSK and XP, will either not connect at all, or will only connect unreliably with Vista equipped machines. I have read (and tried) a variety of proposed solutions - the only one which has worked is the purchase of a WPA2 enabled router. This is the common lesson of other forum contributors, the only other successful solution being reversion to XP!
I suggest that M$, who have not contributed to a 14 month thread on their own TechNet forum, are being a little economical with the truth, and that this is a Vista legacy problem that is an embarrassment to Redmond.
As regards WEP, it goes without saying that I tried both 128 & 64 variants with equal lack of success.
I am delighted to hear that you don't have a problem - what is the wireless card installed in your Vista machine? The bulk of those reporting problems are Intel 3945 (Centrino) based laptops.
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Hiya Smiley
Yes, indeed, MS are often very slow or even economical with the truth sometimes with regards to failures of their software.
I can't say what card it is in this machine per se as it's built in wireless, however,  I can tell you that it has the Broadcom 802.11b/g chipset in it, which I do rate rather highly, and believe that within the wireless community it's vastly favoured over other types.
In my previous laptop (Acer) I had a Belkin PCMIA wireless card - the original Belkin drivers were an absolute disaster as it kept dropping the connection, so I found the broadcom chipset drivers, set windows to manage the connection rather than the Belkin software and it ran like a dream.