cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't download from Panasonic Support site -- can I fix this myself??

matti_lamprhey
Dabbler

Can't download from Panasonic Support site -- can I fix this myself??

Sorry if this isn't the right forum for this -- better suggestion welcomed!  but this may be an easy question for those more websavvy than me.
I've just bought a Panny camcorder which comes with a s/w CD containing 'HD Writer AE 2.0' for video xfer & editing.  It installs OK but when run says there's a later version and autofires up a support webpage which contains instructions for dl'ing the update. But it seems a little broken.  Shocked
There are three dl links, the first to a short .bat file and the others to binary files which the .bat file will combine into an .EXE
Trouble is, these links are just in http: form and when clicked they simply dump the content of these files to the browser screen instead of dl'ing to a local directory.  I've emailed Panny Support but expect it to take several days before they respond if at all.  In the meantime, is there anything I can do to work around the problem with simple copy/paste-type steps???
The Panny webpage in question is http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/soft/download/hdw_ae20142.html
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Can't download from Panasonic Support site -- can I fix this myself??

I did what you described and I see what you mean !  - somebody in Panasonic messed up !  Embarrassed
Then in Firefox I hovered the cursor over each link, used the RIGHT HAND mouse button to "SAVE LINK AS...", and then the files download correctly !  Wink
Hope that helps  Cheesy
matti_lamprhey
Dabbler

Cool Smiley
Brilliant stuff, many thanks.  I've never understood quite what 'Save link as...' meant but assumed it just copied the text of the link.  So what did the webpage creators get wrong in this example?
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Panasonic are good at that. We have copiers that need updates and Panasonic offer dead links Roll_eyes
I did a workaround thanks to Google Smiley
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine