cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can’t connect to NAS which has a fixed address

jamietshaw

Can’t connect to NAS which has a fixed address

I have recently changed to a Plusnet Hub One and I notice the default IP address allocation is in the range of 192.168.1.64-192.168.1.253. I have a NAS set to use 192.168.1.10, i.e. outside this range, and it’s not visible. I can’t change the settings on the NAS because I can’t connect to it to do so. The alternative option seems to be to change the range in the router setup (“DHCP Network Range”) but this doesn’t appear to help. What shall I do?

By the way, if I plug the ethernet cable that normally goes into my NAS into a laptop, DHCP self-assigns an IP address which doesn’t connect to the Internet. I have to configure everything manually to make it work (the IP address I want to use for this computer, the mask, the router IP, and even the IP of the DNS server). I didn’t have to do this with my older BT router.

5 REPLIES 5
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: Can’t connect to NAS which has a fixed address

You can use non-DHCP addresses, provided that a device has a fixed IP address, provided that you use the correct mask (255.255.255.0).

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

jamietshaw

Thanks, that does make sense but doesn't help. I can't ping the fixed address and regardless of whether the device is using DHCP or not, shouldn't it show up in Advanced Settings > Home Network > Devices? It knows something is connected because it gives the speed, but no other details.

I temporarily switched back to my older BT modem, connected to the NAS admin page and changed the settings to use DHCP. This hasn't made any difference for the Plusnet router.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Is it possible that DHCP has used the MAC address to allocate a different IP address to the NAS?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

@jamietshaw wrote:

By the way, if I plug the ethernet cable that normally goes into my NAS into a laptop, DHCP self-assigns an IP address which doesn’t connect to the Internet.

Do you mean that the computer gets a 169.x.y.z address? If so, that is the result of not being able to get a DHCP response from the router - (stupid question) you are not trying to use the WAN port are you?

Phil

Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
jamietshaw

Good news – the NAS is now accessible!
Bad news – I don't know why. The only difference between now and my previous post is that a length of time has passed, so perhaps it's the DHCP lease expiring (complete guess).

Interestingly, the NAS still doesn't show up on the router’s diagrammatic view of attached devices. Makes me wonder what that page is actually doing.

Anyway, fingers crossed it continues to work and thank you for your suggestions.