cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't connect, can't anything

nursemorph
Dabbler

Can't connect, can't anything

Okay, here goes......I got my brand spanking new BT Voyager 2110 today and was really excited about getting onto broadband.....that was 4 1/2 hours ago and I have not managed to get connected.
I have an ASUS WL-138G Wireless Adaptor which is working...sort of. I can get a wireless network connection although the computer is identifying the adaptor as a Belkin and the ASUS control centre politely informs me that no Wireless Card is inserted.
Now, the Voyager is plugged in with filter in the correct place, all the lights that should be on are and are green. From reading another post, I have gone to Start, Run, CMD and done IPConfig and it is the correct value.
You would have thought it should be working. However, whenever I try to go to the Voyager.Home site, nothing happens. Internet Explorer becomes extremely slow and then gives up and tells me it couldn't open the page. I have tried all the things the BT Troubleshooting says but to no avail.
Does anybody out there have any ideas?
Apologies if I've gone on a bit but I'm at the extremely annoyed stage at present.
Thanks
Oh yeah.....I can't seem to connect using a wired connection either although that could be because I'm not sure how to set it up
11 REPLIES 11
James
Grafter

Re: Can't connect, can't anything

Hi there,
I can completely understand your excitement and equally your frustration.
Can I ask if you have been able to try and used the internet when you are wired from your computer to the router?  It does sound rather like it's a problem with your Wireless card.
Can you try and reinstall your wireless drivers?
nursemorph
Dabbler

Ahem.......<wanders in looking rather sheepish> Embarrassed
On further attempts to get the connection working, I have noticed what should have been evident to me before......namely that, as my computer was trying to tell me, my Wireless adapter is in fact a Belkin and not Asus. How silly of me to assume that an adapter delivered in an Asus Box with Asus instructions would actually be an Asus Adapter!!!!!
I am now in the process of downloading drivers for the Belkin (on dial-up so will be a while) and am hoping that it will now work. I shall keep you posted.
Oh well, I've only spent 6 hours trying to get something to work that wasn't going to in the first place. Oops
Apologies for my earlier rant
Genoa

I had similar problems, but what you need to know is you have to remove the dial up connections beforeyou can connect to the log in page. I haven't dared try to put them back. Are you using XP or Vista?  I got my wireless router to work by getting Vista to fix the connection!  I was told by the helpline that it was my computer that was faulty, and I should take it back!  I felt very smug when Vista did it for me...the only time Windows Help has been any good...evr
er...in my life!
nursemorph
Dabbler

Okay...so I now have the correct drivers...all installed and working fine. However, I still can't access the Voyager.home page (or anything for that matter). I can't access anything with a wired connection either.
I am wondering about this WEP number thingy. When I set up the wireless network, it asked me to input the Router's WEP (numbers 0-9, letters A-F), but the WEP has letters outside that range. I did create a passkey which automatically creates WEP codes but could this be the reason why it won't work?
I have also tried using  Windows to fix the connection without luck.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Since WEP is used only for wireless trying to get the system operational using a wired connection would seem the simplest way.
If your computer is set up for dial-up connection it might well try that and get frustrated - slow - if that connection is impossible. I think one usually has to start Internet Explorer and go to Internet Options (at the bottom of the Tools menu in IE7), click the Connections tab and select Never dial a connection. Click Apply and OK. Then close IE.
Now, assuming your computer and router are linked by a network cable (the Ethernet light on the router should be solid green), start IE again and browse to 192.168.1.1 (or Voyager.Home, same place). You should get to the Voyager Connection Status page. that will require you to enter your PlusNet username@plusdsl.net string and password. It possibly takes you through other set-up pages where you shouldn't need to change anything. The router might restart when you get to the Finish page and connect automatically when it comes up again. Alternatively click Connect and after thinking about it for a while it should do so.
Hopefully you won't need this, but if you need to make a dial-up connection (bear in mind you've turned off automatic dialling) you could restore automatic dialling by reversing the process mentioned in the second paragraph; however an easier way is to establish the connection manually by selecting it using Start->Connect To->your-connection. (That's for XP, might differ for Vista.)
David
nursemorph
Dabbler

WooHoo!!! Success  Grin
This morning I tried to install a different router without success so decided to phone tech support (probably shoulda done that in the first place) and it turned out to be the tiniest little thing - a little tick box to do with proxy settings. Unbelievable - one little tick can cause so much aggravation.
So I am finally online with Broadband. Thankyou guys for your advice.
P.S. I have just tried looking at the settings etc for the Voyager modem but it keeps asking for a username and password but I have no idea what these are. Any ideas what they are? I can't see them documented anywhere
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

It is usually this
Default login: "Admin". Password: "Admin" or "Password"
nursemorph
Dabbler

Thanks  Smiley
Not applicable

Well worth changing them... anybody with a wireless network card could potentially access your router and use your internet account without your say-so if you leave them as the default. (As well as access your internal network, and access your computer if they were determined enough and had a little knowledge)
The risk is pretty low, but better safe than sorry etc.
nursemorph
Dabbler

Thanks......that was the first thing I did once I found out the default settings
Not applicable

Top effort - I thought it better to state the obvious than overlook the obvious. Wink