cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't connect Samsung TV to router

Helen15
Hooked

Can't connect Samsung TV to router

Hi, I know there are similar posts to this but I can't find an answer yet that works for me.  I've just moved to Plusnet with super fast fibre broadband.  I've connected my laptop, iPad and mobile to the router without problem and can access the internet.  However when I tried to connect my TV, although the Plusnet router appears as an available wi-fi network, when I try to connect using the wireless password key it says "Wireless network disconnected". I've also tried via WPS but that did not work.  My TV has worked fine with my TalkTalk router and watching catch up TV was one of main reasons I switched providers to get a better broadband connection.  Any ideas what to try next?  I've tried the wireless key 8-10 times so it's not a typo.  I've switched the router on and off too.

23 REPLIES 23
LifeonMars
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

Re: Can't connect Samsung TV to router

Perhaps your TV only connects to 2.4GHz. 

Try separating the wireless frequencies of 5GHz and 2.4 GHz in your router settings.

If hub one see here

https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/2-4ghz-and-or-5ghz-best-practice/td-p/1351950

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from TV to Tech Help as it's not an issue with the PN TV service.  

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
mort7890
Pro
Fixes: 4

Seeing you have been with talktalk try resetting your TV back to factory settings then search for the router and try again.

Helen15
Hooked

Hi, I switched off 5GHz on my router and the TV connected so thanks for suggesting that.  However I now have a poor wifi signal and lots of buffering.  It seems counter intuitive to move to a new broadband provider for faster broadband and then have to switch off 5GHz which offers faster network connections.  At the moment it appears I should have never switched.  Just ranting out loud, not intended for those that have tried to help me on this site!!  I'd be really annoyed if I'm forced to update my TV as I don't feel it's that old.

LifeonMars
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

Just separate them, don’t switch off.

mort7890
Pro
Fixes: 4

H @Helen15

Switch 5GHz back on but unsync from 2.4GHz

Helen15
Hooked

Hi, I re-enabled 5GHz but switched off the sync to 2.4GHz however this resulted in the TV losing the connection again and now unable to even detect the router.  So I disabled 5GHz again so now the TV can detect the router but unlike yesterday will not connect.  I enter the wireless key and I get the message wireless network disconnected.

Becoming exasperated.  I am not buying a new TV just because I have changed internet providers.  However I cannot see how this is going to resolve itself.

What if I was to buy a router than works with any ISP such as the Apple Airport?  I did try my old Talk Talk router but that did not work.

Helen15
Hooked

Hi, I still can't connect my TV to my new router despite hours spent on all the fixes I could find on the internet.  It seems to be a common problem happening to Samsung TVs,  Excuse my ignorance here but does anyone know if an Amazon Firestick would be a work around to watch catch up TV?  Would the firestick then pick up the wireless signal from my router rather than relying on the built in wifi?

Thanks

Helen15
Hooked

OK forget that idea.  I now see that the Amazon Firestick does not give you catch up channels like BBC iPlayer and ITV player.

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

@Helen15 wrote:

Hi, I still can't connect my TV to my new router despite hours spent on all the fixes I could find on the internet.  It seems to be a common problem happening to Samsung TVs,  Excuse my ignorance here but does anyone know if an Amazon Firestick would be a work around to watch catch up TV?  Would the firestick then pick up the wireless signal from my router rather than relying on the built in wifi?

Thanks

If your wifi signal is weak  at your TV, then all internet programmes are going to suffer badly.

There are many solutions to this - but they all work by delivering a stronger signal to your TV.

They range from moving the router closer to the TV (if possible) to options that involve spending money.

As a make-do option have you tried watching catch-up TV (iPlayer or various commercial channels) on a PC or laptop?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Helen15
Hooked

Hi, it's not due to a weak signal.  The wifi receiver is not great but it used to pick up my TalkTalk fibre signal no problem.  I moved to Plusnet to get super fast fibre.  I tried yesterday with the router a meter away from the TV and now it does not even detect the network never mind connecting to the internet.  The issue started the day I switched to the Plusnet router.  I can only think it's something to do with the compatibility of the router and TV or IP addresses etc.

As a temporary situation for Christmas I can get an ethernet cable to the TV by using an telephone extension cable, having the router in the middle of the floor and by telephone disconnected - so a very temporary solution!

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

I don't know what the solution is.

My TV has an ethernet cable direct from the router to the TV.

Likewise for my main PC.

Wifi is OK for laptops but poor for fixed devices. (IMHO).

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Hi, I re-enabled 5GHz but switched off the sync to 2.4GHz

@Helen15 did you change the Wireless SSID of the 5Ghz to be different to that of the 2.4Ghz one ? It's suggested to add something like -5G to end end of the SSID. This makes the two SSID's different and so doesn't confuse devices trying to connect.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Helen15
Hooked

Hi, yes I did this but it made no difference.  I've just tried again but no change.  When the problem first occurred the TV picked up the router but could not connect.  Now I can't even get the TV to detect the router.  I feel I'm running out of options.  The ISP move was to save money and get a better connection - never expected these problems.

My TV is on the wall in my kitchen and my router is connected to my master telephone socket at my front door in my hallway.  So a wired connection is not possible.  I did have a wifi extender but I also cannot get that to work since the switch.  However I don't think a weak signal is the issue due to me testing it with the hub temporarily next to the TV.

Plusnet say they are not responsible for connection issues like this but it was the move to Plusnet that triggered this so I will try to contact them although I'm not hopeful.