cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't access quite a few websites

aaron

Can't access quite a few websites

Hi joined plusnet two weeks ago.
The problem I'm having is I can't access quite a few websites. Everything else is fine apart from these few sites which since I joined plusnet I haven't been able to access. I can get on these sites with a different internet connection just not with plusnet. Just as an example I can't get on www.amnesty.org.uk. Just won't load. Ever.
I've contacted plusnet they've checked the line and everything - they told me it must be something my end, sent me a huge email with suggestions everything from changing microfilters to getting a new router. Thing is I pretty much know my system is ok, I will go through they're suggestions but it's gonna take me about a month. In the meantime any suggestions. I've tried changing dns settings to opendns but no change.
Thanks

10 REPLIES 10
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: Can't access quite a few websites

welcome to the forums  Smiley
I can't get to amnesty.org.uk on either my PN, work or my mobile connection so I don't think it's just you or PN.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
itsme
Grafter

I don't know whether it's a problem with Explorer. I have been having problems over the last few days when a link open a new tab or window it does not load. If I then close explorer down then use the link it will load. This has just happen with the www.amnesty.org.uk link. Did not work the first time had to close Explorer then it did work.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Think amnesty have just paid a bill  Grin It's working on all browsers across all 3 net connections now...
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
artmo
Aspiring Champion

A friend at the club this morning was complaining that he was having problems all weekend accessing certain sites. He's with BT.
aaron

Thanks for the replies.
ok how about www.computekmail.co.uk. Haven't been able to access that since I signed up - two weeks. But can access from a different internet provider.
paulby
Grafter

Have you tried changing your MTU? 
Have a look here and try setting it to 1430.  If you're running Vista, this page will tell you what to do.
artmo
Aspiring Champion

My MTU is set at 1500 (in both the dial up MTU and MTU windows)  and my TRWin at 136000.
I have recently changed from a Voyager to a D-Link router.  In the adaptor settings window only the old router is showing.  How do I get the new one to show?
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Quote from: aaron
Thanks for the replies.
ok how about www.computekmail.co.uk. Haven't been able to access that since I signed up - two weeks. But can access from a different internet provider.

No problem in getting to your site.  WXP and Firefox.
paulby
Grafter

@artmo
If your talking about DrTCP, the adapter is the network card in your PC and *NOT* your router.  This will not change regardless of the router attached to your PC.
MTU is set on the PC using Dr. TCP.  If you want to change it in the router, you need to use the Router's configuration screens.

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

JFI accessed Amnesty & Computekmail sites a few moments ago, no problems.