Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't access Windows 7 updates, stuck at the checking stage forever

FIXED
IanSn
Rising Star

Re: Can't access Windows 7 updates, stuck at the checking stage forever

During recent clean up I was in 'Disk Cleanup' (via C: properties). Cleaned up old win update files.

Free'd up over 3 gigs disk space. And my overheating updates problem appears to have gone away...

Last update was done and dusted inside 10 mins Cheesy I kid you not!

christmas
Aspiring Pro

Both mine and my partners Netbooks/Laptops stopped updating Windows. Following Microsoft maliciously attempts to install Windows 10 on another computer I raised the issue of Windows not updating on the netbooks /laptops with Microsoft Tech Support.

He provide a link to a Microsoft help website where I ran a program to check for updates but he warned I may have to leave my computer on for 24 Hours while it checks.

Ran the programme and after 90mins it asked if I wanted to install a KB file I accepted and restarted my computer. I checked for Windows and almost immediately there were 182 Important Update and 70 recommended. He's phoning back tomorrow to run through the updates so I can upgrade to Windows 10.

I get the feeling Microsoft assume everyone is on superfast fibre with unlimited data.  

martin2006
Grafter

Do you still have the link out of interest ?

christmas
Aspiring Pro

I think there may have been 2 stages firstly tech support ran a programme that was checking updates, but he worked so fast I don't know how he started it, it wasn't the usual Control Panel Windows Update.

I was supposed to leave this running for possibly 24 hours but after 90mins up popped a message asking if I wanted to download a KB file which I accepted. The programme running in the background stopped running.

I had to restart my computer for Windows Update to begin working again.

Microsoft Tech Support provided two website addresses the first is for the KB file I downloaded & installed, "Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2: March 2016"

1. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3138612

I don't know which version was installed, I guess the programme running in the background select the correct version.

The second link was for this KB file, "MS16-039: Description of the security update for Windows Graphics Component: April 12, 2016"

2. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3145739

Again I don't know which version and these files may have been unique for just my problem of getting Windows to update.

Scribe
Grafter

KB3138612 and 3145739 are last month's fixes for WU - yep it's seemingly never ending!! This month, for anyone struggling with WU taking forever and the CPU sticking at 50%, the latest fix is to manually install KB3153199

If when trying to download, it says something like 'Checking for updates on this computer' for more than a couple of minutes, you will need to stop WU in Services first: Press Windows key + R then in the Run box, type ‘services.msc’ (without the quotes) and click OK, now in the Services window, look for ‘Windows Update’ click on it once, then at the top of the pane on the left, click ‘Stop the service.’ You can now close Services and try the download again - which should only take a few mins. Win Updates will probably restart automatically afterwards, but if not, just go back into Services, click ‘Windows Update’ then ‘Start the service’ at top left.

The best site for info on all this and other MS shenanigans is http://www.askwoody.com/2016/windows-7-update-scans-taking-forever-kb-3153199-may-solve-the-problem/

martin2006
Grafter

Thanks both, at least the problems are seeming to be sorted out. Both mine are still ok.....

christmas
Aspiring Pro

Last night Microsoft Tech Support began downloading the 180 (603.3MB) Important Windows Updates to my likkle Sony Vaio notebook....90 minutes later it began installing them.

I don't have Fibre so don't know if that is a reasonable time or not.

From the Windows update history it appears it took another 4hrs 42mins for installation to be completed.

christmas
Aspiring Pro

I carried out the two Microsoft suggestions on another Netbook, and would seem to be three stages to installing updates...

1. Checking updates (this is the one that appears to be doing nothing, but is actually working..but is slooooow?)

2. Dowloading updates

3. Installing updates

Firstly I tried to install all the Important updates but 2 hours later it was still at stage 1 showing 0%, so I hit cancel and selected just 2 updates. Eventually after about 30 mins the downloading began and the 2 updates were installed. After testarting the computer I selected just the 39 Windows updates to install, after about 50 mins downloading began and 33 were installed.

Restarting the computer I selected the remaining Important Windows updates and again there was a long time before downloading began, this time one file failed to be installed. I restarted the computer and I tried to update the file and yet again there was a long period of "checking updates" before downloading began, this time the file was installed. 

Next I downloaded the Important 20 Office updates, as usual the computer whirred away for about 20mins before downloading and installing began and was successful.

On checking updates there were now another 11 Important Windows updates listed, which I successfully installed.

In total this took 6-7 hours, no wonder Microsoft would prefer automatic updates so this happens hidden away in the background.

RobDickson
Grafter

Windows Update last checked for updates on 11th July. Since then, I've tried to force it to check, but found what the original poster found ("stuck at the checking stage forever"). Several reboots haven't helped. I didn't run the malicious software removal tool last month, but doubt that's relevant.

I'll try the offline update tool mentioned earlier, thanks for the suggestion, it's exactly what I was going to try searching for later.

NorthPole
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 6

I had this problem (for the first time in fact) on my Windows 7 x64 PC with the July updates. Fixed by first downloading and manually installing KB3168965 as recommended on this ever-helpful site:

http://wu.krelay.de/en/

after which the update check completed fairly quickly.

Worth checking before each monthly update.

RobDickson
Grafter

This was the first time I have experienced it too. The offline update took a while, but has updated my PC and Windows Update seems to work again now. It probably fixed it by installing KB3168965.

NorthPole
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 6

martin2006
Grafter

Thanks, that is a useful linkSmiley