cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can someone solve this mystery?

chrisco
Grafter

Can someone solve this mystery?

Hi All, I'm running XP & our PC is split into 3 different user accounts/partitions. We can access the net on mine & my daughter's accounts but my husband can't access anything on IE6 or Firefox. We use mainly IE6 - I have a feeling he's inadvertently changed a setting but which one! Undecided
7 REPLIES 7
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Can someone solve this mystery?

It could be anything - drivers, IP settings, client configuration. Give Technical Support a call when logged into the non-working profile and we should be able to sort it out for you, or at least identify where the problem is.
chrisco
Grafter

Thanks Ben, will do
FoolishlyWise
Grafter

Hi, You could check 2 things -
1st - Server certificate revocation - go to tools  ->Internet options ->advanced tab-> then scroll down and untick it.
2nd - Proxy Server - go to tools ->connections tab ->then click on the button "LAN SETTINGS" Make sure nothing is ticked there.

Or, you can try taking the user files and customisations off the account that doesnt work, delete the account and make it again. I WARN YOU - DO NOT DELETE UNTIL EVERY LAST FILE IS BACKED UP!!
chrisco
Grafter

I phoned support & they told me what was the problem. It was the 2nd of your suggestions so all ok now thanks.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

If your account acquired a proxy server for no good reason then you probably have, or had, a computer virus. 
chrisco
Grafter

Possibly, couldn't see how that setting could have been accidently changed. AVG has flagged up a couple of threats in the past couple of weeks but my knowledge is limited with regard to these things, I make sure scans are set to run every 24 hrs & I trust the anti-virus to keep us "safe". As I said to the previous reply all is ok at the moment...........................fingers crossed  Smiley Thanks for your reply ReedRichards
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Viruses, if they get the chance, will mess with the system settings.  I was called in to see a computer two weeks ago because it could not connect to the internet.  By the time I got there the actual virus had been removed by the security software running on the computer but the setting to use a proxy server remained.  It would have been a very quick fix if the computer had not had other problems.