cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can someone simplify building on linux Please?

AWB70
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Can someone simplify building on linux Please?

No mate, when it nearly made it earlier other than the the last two things it needed to install I got the same error. Wasn't sure if it was because I had tried to build it already so I deleted that directory, unzipped to a new directory and tried building again now that I had met all the dependencies.
Was that the bad move?
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Nope shouldn't make any difference, the files installed are in the /usr/bin etc, not the local folder.
If it is core dumping then try running it as sudo, might need elevated privileges.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Can you apt-get install qtcreator and try running it, just to see if you can run any Qt5 GUI program? Or any other program that uses a Qt5 GUI, but I can't easily find anything else by searching packages.ubuntu.com.
Taking the "Illegal instruction" crash at face value, it implies something was built to use CPU features that your CPU does not have. Can you also post the output of "cat /proc/cpuinfo" please?
AWB70
Aspiring Pro

Taking the "Illegal instruction" crash at face value, it implies something was built to use CPU features that your CPU does not have. Can you also post the output of "cat /proc/cpuinfo" please?

Oh man, got a bad feeling my non sse2 cpu is about to come back and bite me!
Not at the computer right now but I'll try in sudo and see if it that helps.
HairyMcbiker
All Star

The problems with older hardware. Most stuff runs fine, but occasionally you get a real show stopper.
AWB70
Aspiring Pro

processor	: 0
vendor_id : AuthenticAMD
cpu family : 6
model : 10
model name : AMD Athlon(tm) XP 3200+
stepping : 0
cpu MHz : 2200.000
cache size : 512 KB
physical id : 0
siblings : 1
core id : 0
cpu cores : 1
apicid : 0
initial apicid : 0
fdiv_bug : no
f00f_bug : no
coma_bug : no
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 1
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr sse syscall mmxext 3dnowext 3dnow vmmcall
bogomips : 4426.90
clflush size : 32
cache_alignment : 32
address sizes : 34 bits physical, 32 bits virtual
power management: ts

Running elevated..
neil@neil-Excel:~/Sachesi-2.0.3$ sudo ./Sachesi
[sudo] password for neil:
neil@neil-Excel:~/Sachesi-2.0.3$

No errors but nothing appears to happen. I've messaged the Dev as he he is a member of another forum I take part in more related to Blackberry products to see if sse2 is required. Going forward though I think it would be best to pick the bones out of this entire thread and try and repeat the steps on my laptop which is more modern, probably should have done that in the first place but I had more time on my hands at this pc when I finish work. As long as I can get it running on one machine I'm happy.
I rarely compile packages that have to be compiled & would never install extra packages to make a compile work.
Remember that when you next do a major upgrade, you might need to repeat everything.
So I would take detailed notes.  Cheesy

I'll be honest, it's been a good learning curve and if I get it to work it will be an over whelming sense of achievement if I get this running but I probably won't be doing this again if I can help it.  Roll_eyes I embarked at the start of this year on trying to make both my Ubuntu computers do exactly the same as my windows machine and other than this and one more program (which I doubt will ever work) I've managed to do it. This program is essential because I'm a Blackberry phone user on BB10 OS so there is no backup software available on Linux without a VM running W7. Both my machine won't take 7 in VM or at least don't very nice, I have tried. My hardware is getting to end of life but they've done me proud up to now. Also seems crazy to have a VM purely for 2 programs. Another reason is software updates are issued by your provider for Blackberry phones so when a new update which fixes bugs comes out I have to wait for o2 to issue it which takes an eternity. With Sachesi I can download the update direct and install without waiting for o2 to send it ota.
If I can get these things running I'm a happy bunny and my next venture is to build/buy a system with as much linux compatible hardware I can find.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Installing dev versions of widely used libraries can very occasionally have unfortunate knock-on effects.
It might be worth running a Linux version (with the dev updates) as a VM on your Linux machine, to isolate any knock-on effects.
Start-up time on a VM machine is very short.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

ejs
Aspiring Hero

What knock on effects? I install pretty much every -devel package for everything on my system, I build all sorts of things, it doesn't cause any problems. Although the proper way Fedora build packages is in a freshly constructed chroot environment.
I really don't think Qt5 or Sachesi actually requires a CPU with sse2, everything on Fedora is built for arm as well as 32bit and 64bit x86, my Pi 2 also runs Fedora, I could install Qt5 on that if I wanted. The Pi 2 could build things for itself too, it might take a while though.
It would technically be a bug if something on Fedora i686 crashed on a CPU lacking certain features. It's the kind of few people would notice though, because there won't be many people still using such old CPUs. I've just looked through the qt5 changelog for Fedora's package, the issue was fixed back in May 2014, bug 1103185, although that was for qt 5.3.0. That's why I suggested trying to run any other Qt5 program, if the problem was just with how Sachesi itself was built, it should be possible to fix it somehow, perhaps by setting some compiler flags. If Qt5 itself was built wrong, you wouldn't really be able to fix that apart from by compiling it yourself, which would take ages.
AWB70
Aspiring Pro

Thanks everyone for their input, tracking back through the entire post I installed everything I could see in the order it happened and Sachesi installed without a hitch on my still ancient but more modern netbook. Not sure if I have installed anything unnecessarily but it seemed to work once I'd done everything. I'll make a list and post it to see if it looks right for future ref. I don't really install much other than stock items for software centre so I doubt something was already installed that I needed prior to trying this.
Thanks again, built my first bit software from code, wahay. Just wish I knew how or what I was actually doing  Grin
While I'm here, does anyone know of any software t can tell whether I have a spare port for another ram module without taking the back off my netbook? Only have one gig of Ram in there. I don't know much about the machine because I was given it. The model as far as I can see online can either take 1 or 2 gigs.
HairyMcbiker
All Star

Run
sudo dmidecode -t 17
Then check the result for Size:
E.g.
hairybiker@octo:~$ sudo dmidecode -t 17
[sudo] password for hairybiker:
"dmidecode" '-t' '17'
+ dmidecode -t 17
# dmidecode 2.12
SMBIOS 2.4 present.
Handle 0x0024, DMI type 17, 27 bytes
Memory Device
Array Handle: 0x0023
Error Information Handle: Not Provided
Total Width: 64 bits
Data Width: 64 bits
Size: No Module Installed
Form Factor: DIMM
Set: None
Locator: A0
Bank Locator: Bank0/1
Type: Unknown
Type Detail: None
Speed: 1333 MHz
Manufacturer: None
Serial Number: None
Asset Tag: None
Part Number: None
Handle 0x0025, DMI type 17, 27 bytes
Memory Device
Locator: A1
Bank Locator: Bank2/3
Handle 0x0026, DMI type 17, 27 bytes
Memory Device
Size: 4096 MB
Locator: A2
Bank Locator: Bank4/5
Handle 0x0027, DMI type 17, 27 bytes
Memory Device
Size: 4096 MB
Locator: A3
Bank Locator: Bank6/7

This shows I have 2 banks of 4Gb ram installed
AWB70
Aspiring Pro

Cheers H, looks like I have a spare for another gig. Time for fleabay when I find out which one I need,
Handle 0x0027, DMI type 17, 27 bytes
Memory Device
Array Handle: 0x0025
Total Width: Unknown
Size: 1024 MB
Set: Unknown
Locator: DIMM0
Bank Locator: BANK0
Type: DDR2
Type Detail: Synchronous
Speed: Unknown
Manufacturer: Manufacturer0
Serial Number: SerNum0
Asset Tag: AssetTagNum0
Part Number: PartNum0
Handle 0x0029, DMI type 17, 27 bytes
Memory Device
Array Handle: 0x0025
Total Width: Unknown
Set: Unknown
Locator: DIMM1
Bank Locator: BANK1
Type Detail: Synchronous
Speed: Unknown
Manufacturer: Manufacturer1
Serial Number: SerNum1
Asset Tag: AssetTagNum1
Part Number: PartNum1
AWB70
Aspiring Pro

Would this be what I'm looking for?
ejs
Aspiring Hero

There is the decode-dimms program, part of the i2c-tools package, which will tell you the speed and all the specs of your current RAM module. Or boot into memtest86, that also displays the RAM speed.
HairyMcbiker
All Star

Go to crucial and put in your l/t model etc. That will tell you the spec of ram you need. Its what I do normally. You don't need to buy them from them, unless the price is good.
AWB70
Aspiring Pro

Yeah that's what I generally do as well mate. The scanner tool was handy because it left no doubt, there's a couple of models of this netbook from what I can make out. Doesn't work on Linux though and vm isn't really the ram it's more software enabled. I found belarc advisor was a handy tool back in the day. Can't find a Linux equivalent though, perhaps that would run under wine being a pretty basic piece of software.