cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can anyone tell me a little about the Thompson router I get with Pro package?

timlake
Grafter

Can anyone tell me a little about the Thompson router I get with Pro package?

I have ordered the BYW Pro package and while I wait for it to activate I was just trying to look up a little about the router I get with it but can't find much info.  I remeber choosing the 4 port wireless option but does anyone know the product number so I can do a little research?
Or, can anyone tell me:
1) Does it support draft 'n' wireless?
2) Is it uPnP?
3) Can I access an interface to set up port forwards etc
4) Is it gigabit LAN?
5) How good is the wireless range?
Thanks all
16 REPLIES 16
James
Grafter

Re: Can anyone tell me a little about the Thompson router I get with Pro package?

Hiya Tim.
It's actually not that easy to find out that sort of information on the web, but I've had a good trawl and come up with this:
http://www.vispashop.com/wireless/thompson/thomson-585v7-wireless-router/prod_149.html
I reckon that should tell you pretty much everything that you need to know Smiley
timlake
Grafter

Re: Can anyone tell me a little about the Thompson router I get with Pro package?

That's great thanks
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

I'm pretty sure that's the same unit that Be currently provide for their ADSL2+ customers. ("provide" as in for use for the duration of the contract - it's returnable FOC at the end)
If it is, then it's 100meg LAN and wireless range is "average". If you want N wireless the Netgear DG834N is worth a look, but not cheap.
oldart

I was promised a router when I "upgraded" my "service". It never arrived, despite reminders from me.  I'm not a tekkie, but I heard that a router was better than a basic modem (mine is Binatone 500) so should I buy one, and if so, will I benefit  - and what is recommended ?Huh
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Isn't a Binatone 500 a phone? Grin
If you just have a modem (probably with a USB connection) then you are effectively plugged straight into the internet.
What people mean by a router is an ADSL modem-router (all connected in one box).
This has many advantages, including a hardware firewall and a feature called NAT - which hides your ip address from the internet.
You normally connect over ethernet cable and most of the processing is done by the router and your ethernet card.
(Any computer built in the last few years should have a connection for ethernet).
You can have several computers sharing the same router...

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

pierre_pierre
Grafter

take your choice
Binatone BM 500 Video Monitor
Binatone Caprice 500 Corded Phone
ADSL router - Binatone 500 usb
and why do you  say it is normal to use Ethernet, a lot of people (approx 50%) have laptops and WiFi
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Quote from: oldart
I was promised a router when I "upgraded" my "service". It never arrived, despite reminders from me.

I'm sure if you raise a ticket and give this thread a gentle nudge tomorrow then one of us can sort this out for you.
I'm not a tekkie, but I heard that a router was better than a basic modem (mine is Binatone 500) so should I buy one, and if so, will I benefit  - and what is recommended ?Huh

Blimey! That brings back some memories.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Quote from: pierre_pierre
and why do you  say it is normal to use Ethernet, a lot of people (approx 50%) have laptops and WiFi

I meant that for a wired connection, Ethernet is much better than a USB lashup.
I use wifi on my desktops and a on laptop - but all these devices would take ethernet or/and wifi.
For simplicity, I just didn't mention wifi.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

pierre_pierre
Grafter

Agreed USB is the slowest of all the connection, just to be awkward I am using a fairly new laptop that hasnt got WiFi so am using Ethernet.
Also worth pointing out if you are making security changes to your router, never do it via WiFi, use ethernet, in that was if you make a mistake, you can still connect and correct your mistake
oldart

Hmmm, how do I "give this thread a gentle nudge" ? I have enough trouble trying to use this "forum"  Embarrassed Embarrassed
pierre_pierre
Grafter

PM JameseH, he seems to manage these items fairly quickly
oldart

Maybe I'm in the wrong place, I thought this was where we get help from other users - if not maybe someone will suggest a way to get the help I'm after......... Sad
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I told you to PM Jamesh he is Plusnet Staff and is the one to sort it for you - what more help do you need than that?
To PM go to MY MESSAGES at the top,  start a new message, put Jameseh in the to slot, fill in the rest and I am sure he will help you
avalon
Grafter

Quote from: oldart
Hmmm, how do I "give this thread a gentle nudge" ? I have enough trouble trying to use this "forum"  Embarrassed Embarrassed

Bob means just add a reply to the thread - perhaps mentioning the ticket has been raised- so that your new post will bring the thread up again when Bob clicks either the "Unread Posts" or "Replies To Your Posts" buttons at the top of the forums.  It's also referred to as "bumping" a thread and frowned upon by the moderators if you do it excessivley. Wink