Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can anyone recommend a router

BenG
Grafter

Can anyone recommend a router

hi ,
I had my netgrear router wireless router now for about 2 years it but I was thinking of getting a new one but I cannot decide what one whould be best for me, I seen this can anyone recomment this router.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Netgear-DGN2000-Wireless-N-Router-Built-/dp/B001E1UGOE/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qi...
I do not know very much about routers and the last router I got my friend suguested it, but I not seen him in in ages and I do not want to end up getting a wrong one that does not work.
thanks.
7 REPLIES 7
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: Can anyone recommend a router

I guess the questions are:
1) what do you want to be able to do
2) what is your budget
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

and what are your present router stats as the length of line can affect the suggestion
BenG
Grafter

Well i bascily just want to do what I do with my current router and just use the internet, I had my wireless router now for around 2 years, My buget I can spend is around £100, but I am just wondering if I really need a new one, cos the one I have now seems to work and supports ADSL 2, It just that someone said it good to update evey 2 years.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

You know the old saying - if it ain't broke don't fix it - well that applies here  Grin
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

agree with oldjim (for once Wink ) if it suits your needs and works then there is no point in changing it
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
mal0z
Grafter

Well - I thought I ought to have a backup router to my trusty but limited Thomson 585_7  as I had two but one had failed.
I looked around and as I had had a vert good Netgear wired adsl router - I went for a Netgear Wireless-N 300 Router with DSL Modem.
I looked on Amazon too and was puzzled at the mixed responses - but took the plunge two weeks ago - and it has been fine. The set up was not as straightforward as I remember - but i had it working in 10 minutes and has been solidly working since. The range is a good deal better - with an 'excellent' signal in all areas of the big bungalow.
Not much else to say really. I got mine on Amazon for £55 - post included. I did look around and that was a reasonable price - but sure if i looked harder i could have had a slightly better price - but as I have an account with amazon - i used that.
I'm not sure of the differences from the Netgear DGN2000 Wireless-N 300 Router without reading up on them both again
I agree with the others - if it not broke dont fix it - but i think it is wise to have two routers - just in case.
Mal
BenG
Grafter

Thanks for the replys I thinik I may have another think about getting one. I have my router on 24/7 but was worried that it may overheat but I supose there made to cope with been on for long of times.