cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can anyone recommend a freeware Registry Cleaner ?

shermans
Pro
Fixes: 3

Can anyone recommend a freeware Registry Cleaner ?

I have been using ccleaner to maintain my registry for many years, and have been perfectly satisfied with the results.  However, recently I have been tempted twice to try alternative products, claiming to be freeware.  On both occasions, the trial scan alleges to have found 1000 problem registry entries.  With both products, when you go to fix them you then discover that there is a price attached after all.
I suspect that these are scams, frankly.  I do not want to throw good money after bad, and businesses which pretend to offer freeware, but who are actually trying to sell their product leave me always suspicious.
I realise that there is no such thing as a free meal, but there is no point in paying £30 for a product which really does no more than the genuine freeware ccleaner
So can any comment on these various Registry Cleaners ?  Do they really offer good value for money or not ?  Do they actually do anything more than ccleaner ? Unless there really is going to be a performance difference, (not that I am complaing about my current performance), then I prefer to follow the old saying "If it ain't broke, don't fix it !
18 REPLIES 18
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Can anyone recommend a freeware Registry Cleaner ?

I use Microsoft's own tool built into the Onecare scanner at http://onecare.live.com/site/en-US/default.htm
(I'm sure there's a UK site too, but Registry cleaners don't care)
Denzil
Grafter

I have heard many tales of registry cleaners that report loads of false problems in an effort to make you buy them, and malware that pretends to be a registry cleaner and reports loads of problems in an effort to get you to install it.
CCleaner seems to be good - I would stick with that. You could also try the <a href="http://www.tweaknow.com/RegCleaner.html">Tweaknow RegCleaner</a>. Simpler than CCleaner but quite good at removing orphaned entries.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Quote from: HPsauce
I use Microsoft's own tool built into the Onecare scanner at http://onecare.live.com/site/en-US/default.htm
(I'm sure there's a UK site too, but Registry cleaners don't care)

HPsauce.....  I clicked on your link, to see how/what and then clicked on the "full scan" (I know, I`m greedy) but I got this result

We're sorry. This version of the Windows Live OneCare safety scanner doesn't work with your Web browser or operating system.
You need Windows XP Home Edition, Windows XP Professional, Windows 2000 Professional, Windows Server 2003, or Windows 2000 Server. You also need either Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 or MSN® 9.0 or higher.

I am running Windows XP home, and I have IE6, (OE7)
I also clicked on the "individual" scan boxes,  same response ! ! !
HPsauce
Pro

I guess your registry is messed up and needs cleaning!  Cheesy
(CCleaner for you then)
shermans
Pro

HPsauce
Thanks for the tip.  It seems that this is a Microsoft tool, so presumably should be bona fide.  I have downloaded it, and it is now running in the background, scanning and hopefully fixing anything that needs fixing.  It tells me it could take up to several hours, but presumably that includes a defrag of the hard disk which hopefully will not need doing as I do that regularly already.
However, one thing puzzles me.  Maybe when it has finished it will all become crystal clear.  But in case it does not become crystal clear, how do I start it off again next time ?  It seemed to download 11 files, but it did not appear to use the usual install process, and there are no links / shortcuts on the Desktop.  On the other hand, the name Opencare Live suggests that it is interfacing LIVE with the web while it is scanning, so maybe that has something to do with it.  Am I right in thinking that each time I want to start it, I need to use your link http://onecare.live.com/site/en-US/default.htm to start it off ?  Does it download those 11 files again each time ?
It looks interesting, so thanks again.
Shutter
You mention IE6.  I heard that MS are discontinuing support for IE6 and are forcing everyone to upgrade to IE7.  Could this be the cause of your problem ?
HPsauce
Pro

As far as I know you can only instigate the tool I linked too via IE when online.
It installs ActiveX controls in IE and presumably checks/updates them each time; you can see it in the installed programs list via Control Panel.
I use it regularly, but use the "customize" option to choose which options to do. As you say the "full monty" takes ages.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Thanks for the "wally" response HP ! ! !.... I already use CCleaner, and it is "clean as can be".... I also use Registry First Aid, which finds just a few left overs after CCleaner..... It is free, but only cleans 15 items unless you register.... However, if you want, you can run it over and over again, to clean 10 items a go, then exit and do it again.... only takes a couple of minutes at a time (stop the second part of the scan) so 10 minutes will clear 50 items.....
I am using OE7 which does not update IE6 apparently, and my IE is IE6 so there should be no problem running the link that HPsauce put up.....
My laptop is ticking all the boxes....
EDIT=======

O.K. so I am the "wally"..... I was using  Firefox at the time !  Doh ! ! Embarrassed Lips_are_sealed Embarrassed
God
Grafter

CCleaner is great for cleaning the er.... ccrap; as in files but I have found the following to do a better job of registry cleaning:
http://www.eusing.com/free_registry_cleaner/registry_cleaner.htm
shermans
Pro

Smiley
Thanks guys.  This has been very useful.  I have run Onecare which took for ever but seemed to be very thorough, and I think that this is the once a month job.  I then ran eusing (funny name ?) which found 450 registry errors and cleaned them up, but it only took about five minutes.  This will be weekly housekeeping from now on.  ccleaner is the quickest but obviously leaves things behind.
I think a combination of all three does no harm.  It will be interesting to see if I notice any difference.
So the help has been much appreciated.
Smiley
paulh
Rising Star

http://www.abexo.com/registry-cleaner.htm
you have to scratch around their site a bit to find the free version, but it is there, and it does work rather well
paul
shermans
Pro

Well, that took out another 170 redundant registry entries within a couple of minutes.  And it was not too difficult to find :
http://www.abexo.com/free-registry-cleaner.htm
So thanks again.  After all this, I must have the cleanest registry in Plusnet !  And, touch wood, everything still works !!!
God
Grafter

Abexo Free version does not support Vista - miserable bunch  Undecided
greyposter
Grafter

Doesn't support Vista,oh dear.
God
Grafter

Déjà Vu?