cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can anybody help me understand what may have happened here please

Kazbah
Grafter

Can anybody help me understand what may have happened here please

Ok, firstly, I apologise if this is in the wrong section, please feel free to move it. Now for my problem.
My laptop, it was running absolutely fine, no problems at all, just very recently bought a new battery for it which was an exact replica and again, was fine. Last night, i left the laptop on while i went to go and do a few bits and when i came back it had gone off, i think the battery had gone flat because i didn't put it on charge but had noticed earlier it needed it but when i plugged the charger in the laptop to charge it up the light on the charger went out as if it had shorted. I changed the fuse thinking of what it may be but to no avail, tried the charger on another laptop and was fine so it is definately the laptop but has anyone any idea what the problem is?? I'm thinking it could maybe be a fault with the charger socket attached to the motherboard. I am familiar with internals of laptops and PC's but have never come across this before. Does anyone have any idea as to what the problem is and possibly a fix?? The laptop was fine throughout the day hence been so surprised by it. Thanks in advance
8 REPLIES 8
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Can anybody help me understand what may have happened here please

I have had the socket on an HP and also Medion laptop both fail, the Medion was expensively replaced, the HP burnt the corner off the motherboard
Kazbah
Grafter

Mines a Dell Latitude D620, guess i had expected it was the charging socket, i'll have to look into how much it would be to repair but will probably just replace the laptop  Undecided
pierre_pierre
Grafter

My Medion is a 19" Widescreen that I use for video work, and it cost me £70 to get repaired, I could not reach the socket, tried everything
Denzil
Grafter

My Dell C400 sometimes doesn't charge unless I pull the battery out briefly. Worth a go.
Kazbah
Grafter

I've had the battery out overnight and then tried again to no avail, but thanks for the idea though. I think it has got to be the charging connector so i'll probably just get rid and find another
pierre_pierre
Grafter

just another couple of things, have you a light on the case to show when power is on/
on the bottom bar do you have a power icon, a lead with a plug, or a battery symbol.  when charging it should be the lead with plug,
Kazbah
Grafter

The laptop won't turn on, the only light i get is on the PSU when i plug the charger in, as soon as it makes contact with the charger socket it goes out. When the laptop was working it showed a battery when off charge and the battery disappeared when on charge but as I said, the laptop wont even turn on but the battery claims it has life in it, it should have, it's new!
Denzil
Grafter

Looks like the charger is shutting down because it is seeing a short or somesuch. If it won't start with the battery then something is amiss with the power circuits inside the laptop. It is still quite a good spec laptop, so it is worth getting a quote for a repair before you decide on a new one. They seem to fetch about £250 on eBay, so if the repair is less than that it could be worth doing.