cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can access network but not the internet

nibor
Grafter

Can access network but not the internet

I have recently got the latest thomson router that plusnet supply, I have 2 laptops and a desktop, intiallly all connected ok however i am now constantly having problems with my wireless desktop connection.
I have an satndard asus 8021 b/g card in my desktop, i powered off the router whilst the pc was still on and now  when i boot up my pc i can cooenct to the internet but keep getting limited connectivity message and cannot access the internet through my desktop, both my laptops are fine. Never had this problem with my previous roter only this new thomson one.
I have tried to repiar the network etc on the desktop, removed the desktop from the router and tried reconnecting all but to no avail !!!

Argggg im pulling my hair out - any suggestions.
21 REPLIES 21
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: Can access network but not the internet

Have you tried a wired connection from the laptop?
Is it a DHCP problem?
Can you see your wireless address retained in the router?
Have you configured duplicate static ip addresses on your LAN?
Does it only happen for certain web sites?
If so try ipconfig /flushdns in a command entry screen.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

nibor
Grafter

The desktop  ip is retained in the router, DHCP ? sorry not very techinical whats that etc
Its not for certain websites, it will not get a connection at all to the internet through my desktop, have been  reparing eg - renewing ip dns etc but still same problem
nibor
Grafter

I see what you mean by DCHP now, DHCP is enabled etc , as my other computers connect no problem and can access the internet. Defoo something to do with my wirelss card and the router communication
Its an ASUS  WL-138G pci adapter
Looking on the web this seems to be a common problem witgh the asus card and the router -  think ill just get a new card
VileReynard
Hero

Quote from: nibor
I see what you mean by DCHP now, DHCP is enabled etc , as my other computers connect no problem and can access the internet. Defoo something to do with my wirelss card and the router communication
Its an ASUS  WL-138G pci adapter

I don't quite understand your use of English - but lots of people can't make it work either Smiley http://www.fixya.com/support/t236146-problem_wireles_adapter
Since it's a laptop, I suggest you try making a wired (non-wireless!) connection to see if it's a router problem.

Denzil
Grafter

Err, its the desktop he is having the issue with, not a laptop.
Sounds to me most likely a faulty wireless card.
VileReynard
Hero

Wireless cards don't typically switch from working to not working, simultaneous with a router being switched off.
How about the encryption being wrong - is it WEP or WPA and has it got the right passphrase?

nibor
Grafter

I thinks its a compatability problem with the card and the router as Im not the only person reporting problems, turned me omputer on today and it connected fine, so its a bit hit and miss, ordered a new card for £11 .
nibor
Grafter

mmm well put in a new network card, worked for  couple of days now getting same problem, my router does not seem to be assigning an ip adress to the network card on my desktop,
VileReynard
Hero

Surely if you can see your network, your PC must have an address?
Is it the same make or model as the previous card?

nibor
Grafter

Its a totaly diff make, the ip address i see on the card on my desktop is differant from that on the thomson router, rest the connection renew ip address , clear dns cache etc and the router is just not picking up the card in the respect that I cannot access the internet but can  connect to the router , I am unable to access the router login screen though which I thought I would be able to do so If I am connected to the network. As said before my other laptops ahve no problems at all.
paulby
Grafter

Are you running a firewall on the PC you're having problems with?
As you've changed router it could be that the firewall needs to be told to trust the new network.
Try disabling the firewall temporarily and, if that works, you'll need to put your new network into the firewall's trusted zone.
VileReynard
Hero

Maybe you're connecting to someone else's router?

nibor
Grafter

I certainley aint connecting am not connecting to another router, and have already tried the firewall, never had this problem at all with me old belkin router
VileReynard
Hero

Are you able to try a temporary wired connection - just to see if the router's working?